Douglas barrel warning

S

spfld

I noticed Douglas states on its web site that 1 1/2" must be removed from the muzzle end of any new barrel they make, as in a 27 1/2" preturned barrel needs to be cut back to 26" finished length. Is there some manufacturing reason that the dimensions in that last 1 1/2" become erratic?

There is good reasoning why Douglas requires you to cut an inch and half off because there is a tapered pin that goes in the ends of the barrel to keep the heat from stress releif going inside the barrel and when they're centered the pilot on the center is approximately 3/4 inch long and the pilot could wipe the top of your lands which is a bad thing so the main reason we ask you to cut that is to get you into clean rifling.

Stan Taylor

I think wv redneck is correct.
Last i knew Doughlas barrels were not lapped. The clain a fine finish with out lappig.
And wv redneck is from Douglas home state.

Looky what I found

I looked in my picture dictionary under EXPERTS and look what I found.

96dfdf.jpg

Douglas Barrels

I do not want to get into any argument about things I know little about but I thought barrels were lapped from the Breech end and that is why you cut some off the Big end.

Dick

My understanding from Tim, Stan & Fred, Douglas does not lap barrels. However, they do use (what they call) double button, ( they run/push another button thru the barrel) This is not for all their barrels, and I do not know which barrels or if is by special order requests, only. I watched the process during one of my visits to Douglas
HFV

Yes WV Redneck surely knows a thing or two about Douglas barrels. It is my understanding that all blanks from Barrel Manufacturers come 1”-2” longer than the finish length. I’ve be told that that 1”-2” is used to get the Button or Cutter lined up for the required twist rate.
Baron

I attended a barrel seminar given by John Krieger of the barrel fame, he told us the last (muzzle) inch of barrel on his cut rifled barrels was imperfect due to the indexing of the cutter and recommended an inch be removed form his barrels.

Back