Do bloop tubes increase scoped rife accuracy?

tresmon

WhipperSnapper
Greetings,

So I know bloop tubes were originally introduced to lengthen sight radius on iron sighted rifles.

But I've heard it theorized that a bloop tube allows a (very temporary) more stabile atmosphere for the little bullet to "go to sleep" (rid itself of some nutation and precession) and thereby increases accuracy.

Does anybody have first hand knowledge or comparison of a BR rimfire with and without a bloop tube??

Big thanks,
TM

bloop tubes

Do they work? I've owned them and tried them-----------Still don't know.
Shoot against some good shooters that win and lose with them. Sorry cant be more helpful.

other than being a bit quieter right on the line 20" bull barrel Win 52c ( sound being directed more down range kind of hollow pop instead of a crack) didn't notice a hill of beans with or with out- Now some used them to get a bit of a pendulum effect ( trying to slow down their jiggle I guess) in silly wet while staying with in the weight limit back in the day. They came about way back because of the short barrel trend so as you said they were used to get the front sight out to the proper distance between front and rear sight so your irons adjustments would give the prescribed point of impact change per click

Short barrel tests written up in NRA periodicals ( smallbore) velocity would start to drop off at apx less than 20" barrel length- Long time ago , but I believe they were also checking accuracy at the same time, Anshultz ran their own tests and so the short barrel with the tube was born -might have been the 18xx series, just a plain tube. In addition like on my 18xx running boar Annie that tube was a series of weights that screwed together( aka tuner? never referred to as that though). Course the short barrels made for a bit lighter assembly. The tube/weights would bring assembly weight back up to a full length barrel. there was speculation that the projectile exiting the barrel a minuscule amount sooner than a full length unit aided the shooter by limiting the amount of drift off point of aim during the physical reaction time of firing.
IIRC the first test - private party involved cutting a barrel down 1" at a time until velocity dropped off, 2nd time was sponsored by NRA more controlled-about that same time Anshultz ran their own- any way that is how I remember it. Think this all transpired in the 80's as in 88 I got banged up badly in a auto wreck and it was a a couple of years before I could handle a long gun again, I could no longer get into the low posistions.

Yeah,
So on this forum and the other ones, there are discussions from seemingly knowledgeable and experienced BR shooters about tuners and bloop tubes ( those discussions have at time become contentious).

As a simple man, I boiled it down to:

A. Tuners affect the vibrations of the barrel to find a “sweet spot” - the barrel doing something the same each shot, the moveable weight finds the tune. lots of ideas- nodes, anti nodes, etc. beyond me.

2. The bloop tube on a scoped BR gun tunes the gas pulses in the barrel. There are calculations to determine the length of barrel and bloop to find the “best total length, aka the PRX, Google Tony Purdy.

So I shot my 40x with a tuned Harrell tuner without the bloop and with a “tuned” bloop on the Harrell. I got smaller groups with the bloop on the Harrell but I’m still working stuff out. I’m a serious hobby shooter and I find Rimfire bench guns a challenge.

Not a lot of agreement among the top benchrest shooters about bloops and tuners but plenty of ideas and experience posted on the forums.

weather hanging something off the end of the barrel or clamping something in the middle- boils down to changing the vibrat1on pattern in the vertical plain primarily. Idea being to get the pill to exit at the same point in the vibration each time. Not a new idea going way back there were the 2 pins in the forearm contacting the barrel with some slight amount of pressure. German military mausers were built with apx a 7# pressure point on the barrel at the forearm tip. Being a little more edumacated today we know that either of those practices didn't work real well as the stocks change a bit with the weather ( yep even all the new fangled stuff does also - just not as much).

Back