dies

Joe S

How much do the various type of dies affect the potential accuracy of the ammo produced with them?
If one has a factory rifle I strongly suspect he would not see any difference in accuracy from a set of BR grade bushing dies then their std die set. What about a well re-barreled rifle with a snug chamber? A good varmint rifle, Cooper maybe as a example? I am I guess wondering if it is worth the expense of a top grade die to feed the non top end benchrest rifles most of us non-top ranked shooters own and shoot, or do the little guys see a improvement too? Where does it reach a point of diminished return?
I'd rather spend my $$ on components and practice then fancy tools if it will do as much good. I long ago gave up the belief I could buy consistent 0.2" groups at my skill level, but if I could get the couple of rifles that now give 0.4"/0.5" with some regularity to do it consistently I might bite.

BTW I now use mostly Foster BR dies with a few std Reddings. All full size.

I am new at this, so I am not the one to really comment, but I have purchased custom dies for all my precision rifles. I have both standard dies and competition off the shelf dies for other factory rifles. I would at least think that a set of dies made to the dimensions of the actual chamber would have some advantage, even in a factory rifle, which might have a sloppy chamber, but that being said, what if you re-barrel? if you do not have the same reamer that cut the chamber that your custom dies were made with, then I would think, what is the point. So there was one more expense for me. For my precision rifles, I also purchased my own reamers.

Bob

I got a 3006 in a Remington cdl a while back and it shot about an inch at 100 yds. with old rcbs dies. Ordered a l.e. Wilson seating die and cut the groups in half. Loading that bullet straight makes a big difference. A forester would be great unless you've got an old press with a lot of play in the ram. Did the same thing on a Dillon 550. MY AR 15 was spraying everywhere I bought a ponecess warren , or however you spell it, in line seating die and it started shooting under an in. at 100. Load that bullet straight. Doug

Back