De-burring primer pockets

S

smoker

Due to Arthritis I have great difficulty in holding brass while trying to de-burr the inside of the primer pocket. Is there a tool/fixture I could use to hold the brass. Hope I explained this so you could understand. Thanks, smoker

If you are neck turning, I would think you could deburr the flash hole while you had the case in whatever you are using to hold it for turning. I know you want to deburr the flasholes or you wouldn't have bought the tool and posted here but you can deburr till the cows come home and your scores won't improve. If it hurts to do it - don't do it.

Alternatively, find somebody to do it for you and use the tool to check that they did it right. Pretty easy to twist the tool on an already cut flash hole.

Now, if I read wrong and you are talking about cutting the primer pocket, same thing goes except for the first part. You can't use the case holder deally. The rest remains the same as written.

Im with John,
Thats what I use all the time.
I try to set things up so that when I trim the case I can do everything else I need to do including the deburing inside and out, and uniforming the primer pockets if you do that.
The holder makes it lots better.

Another thing that might help along with a Wilson trimmer case holder is to wear nitrile exam gloves which will give you some traction on the case holder that skin sometimes can't manage. The nitrile gloves seem to be stronger and easier to get on and off than latex (white) gloves too.

Folks I'm very sorry that I have not responded as I was never notified you left a message....probably my fault. I will look up the Wilson trimmer case holder and see what it is. I was scrounging around my wood working stuff and found an adjustable drill depth tool. Plastic collet that tightens around a drill bit so that you can set repeatable depth. I did get it to work but really think there has got to be a better way. Thanks again, I'll look into your suggestions, smoker

are you deburring the flash hole from inside the case or uniforming the primer pocket.....
your description leaves a litle doubt on what you are doing.
mike in co

I'm deburring the flash hole from the inside of the case. I'm not able to make a tight fist and thats why the case is so difficukt to hold on to. Just need something fatter than the case. I did look up the Wilson case holder and that seems like it would work. smoker PS Still not getting advised of posts being made.???

What Tenring and Wilbur said. You can actually hurt the brass due to different depth cuts on the taper of a deburring tool. You're taking non similar amounts inside the case off and changing the thickness around the hole. Don't drill the flash hole.

Hope this helps.

Al

I use an rcbs flash hole deburring tool, with the adjustable stop to be sure each cut is uniform, after the brass is trimmed to length first. I ususaly chuch it in a cordless drill to ease and speed the process. if you are having trouble gripping the case, LEE makes an inevpensive tool the hold the case and turn it with a power screw driver for use with thier case trimming tool. This would allow you to turn the case and just hold the deburring tool steady with may be easier for you to do.

P.S. as far as i know there is no notification system to alert you of replies on here, juat have to come back and look. but thats half the fun.

Click to Zoom

Lee Case Spinner Spindle with Drill Shank for use with 3 Jaw Chuck

Product #: 174316 Lee #: 734307906078

IMO you should not use more than light finger pressure to debur flash hole. A very light turn of the tool accomplishes this. You only want to remove the thin burr left by the hole punching process not cut or shape the flash hole. Uniforming the primer pocket requires cutting and shaping where a powered turning of case or cutter is needed. Lapua and Norma drill their flash holes so no burrs are left inside.

Just for the record, especially those that know little about metal working, Short of EDM any process
used to make a hole , such as a flash hole will have a burr or sharp edge, punched, drilled or bored.

I just used a deburring tool on 140 pieces of new Norma 222 Mag brass and 100 pieces of Lapua 220 Russian brass with no evidence of chips or burr material coming out. They do a fine job of drilling.

I just used a deburring tool on 140 pieces of new Norma 222 Mag brass and 100 pieces of Lapua 220 Russian brass with no evidence of chips or burr material coming out. They do a fine job of drilling.
And to counter, I just got thru using a Sinclair hole tool on 200 220 Russian( circa 2010 ) and they all brought up chips and resistance. Lapua is good, but not perfect.

the std rcbs or sinclair tool with an adjustable stop, used AFTER trim to length, will provide uniform deburring of the inside of a flash hole, based on the users skills.......

nothing wrong with uniforming primer pockets...again based on the tool used and the users skill.

mike in co

Deburring off the case mouth, even on uniformly trimmed cases, assumes that all your cases have the same web thickness. My past experience is that they don’t. Cut off some cases and mic the web to see for yourself. It seems to me that tools like the K&M, that by design can only cut a set depth into the web, are preferable??

not sure i agree.
my method( with a uniformed primer pocket) means the distance from the base of the primer pocket, thru the flash hole is uniform, reguardless of how thing the brass in the base is.this means the flame reaching the powder travels the same . hopehully burns the same.
mike in co
Deburring off the case mouth, even on uniformly trimmed cases, assumes that all your cases have the same web thickness. My past experience is that they don’t. Cut off some cases and mic the web to see for yourself. It seems to me that tools like the K&M, that by design can only cut a set depth into the web, are preferable??

Smoke...Sinclair markets a series of flash hole de-burr tools (large and small holes) that have a lil' sleeve/stop integral with the drill bit that limits the amount of mtl. that the drill can remove...tht way they are all the same......on most brass I use (Lapua/WW) usullay one or two outa 10 will cut enuff to see a shaving....Roger

Back