David E. Petzal....

alinwa

oft dis'd member
OK, so's I haven't really perused the glossy mags since't I was a kid. Mainly I guess because as I've gotten older my wants have changed and as I've spent money learning things I've drifted further and further from the mainstream. AND, because NOTHING will ever live up to those days on my belly in the dusty attic poring over over stories of derring-do with my tatty fishing buddy, the hard-earned cash spent on those ads in the back.... the Jivaro blowguns, "Wolf's-Head" knife of "best quality Sheffield steel" and of fishing lures (Vibra-Bat? had it.... Hofschneider Redeye? of course.....Wonder Lures?...Water Walkers? Ohh Yeahhh.) that ruled the lakes in my mind. Those misty moments spent curled up in Dad's or Uncle's or neighbor Bob's armchair reaching down to grab up a handful of dreams from the basket while the stories murmured and churned over my head like flashlights in a fog......

Last mags I subscribed to were, in order, Gun Games, VHA and of course PS.

And they were great, many of the authors used to post here...... heck, Jim Carmichel used to post here......some still do.

Magazine rack specimens, not so much. Oh, I might grab one at the airport, or to take to camp, but meh.....

But This PETZAL guy.......

Let's just say he's growing on me.

While I don't subscribe to any, I have access to boxes and bundles of fairly current mags and find myself grabbing up a handful and looking for his articles.

BTDT stuff, Rock ON Petzal!!

I don't subscribe to his magazine, but I've read a few Dave Petzal articles over the years and generally like his work. Seems Petzal has always had more than his share of detractors for some reason, but he writes good stuff.

Good Stuff of Which You Write

OK, so's I haven't really perused the glossy mags since't I was a kid. Mainly I guess because as I've gotten older my wants have changed and as I've spent money learning things I've drifted further and further from the mainstream. AND, because NOTHING will ever live up to those days on my belly in the dusty attic poring over over stories of derring-do with my tatty fishing buddy, the hard-earned cash spent on those ads in the back.... the Jivaro blowguns, "Wolf's-Head" knife of "best quality Sheffield steel" and of fishing lures (Vibra-Bat? had it.... Hofschneider Redeye? of course.....Wonder Lures?...Water Walkers? Ohh Yeahhh.) that ruled the lakes in my mind. Those misty moments spent curled up in Dad's or Uncle's or neighbor Bob's armchair reaching down to grab up a handful of dreams from the basket while the stories murmured and churned over my head like flashlights in a fog......

And they were great, many of the authors used to post here...... heck, Jim Carmichel used to post here......some still do.

Magazine rack specimens, not so much. Oh, I might grab one at the airport, or to take to camp, but meh.....

While I don't subscribe to any, I have access to boxes and bundles of fairly current mags and find myself grabbing up a handful and looking for his articles.

Al,
Your first paragraph reads like a lead in to a Stephen King novel, "Stand by Me" comes to mind. It brought back many old memories.... good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

He is a lefty so he's got that going for him which is one the that endeared me to his writings years ago. Have not kept up lately.

I recall one gun writer mentioning another gun writer imbibing a tad too much alcohol and discharging a .338 Win Mag through the ceiling. Anyone know who that was?

Here's one you might like Al....

https://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/gun-nuts/2014/03/guns-dont-kill-people-ink-kills-people

He lives up this way...not sure if ME or NH? I too like his writings. I've just subscribed to Field and Stream where he is the rifles editor. As a matter of fact, after years of not taking any gun mags, I've subscribed to several....good 'ol Shooting Times, Rifles, Handloader and G&A. Makes for good reading...I just can't get with reading a magazine on a computer screen...just can't.

I just read this one. My guess is he's a Maineiac...

https://www.fieldandstream.com/were-they-tougher-than-we-are

And the best damned one I've found to date....
https://www.pressherald.com/2017/08...mplicated-man-who-faced-a-painstaking-choice/

No, no, these are the best one....

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/08/joe-biden-field-and-stream_n_2839200.html

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2017/6/29/media-mysteries-explained/

Last edited:
T.V. shows

I can remember when TNN was one of the few stations that showed hunting shows most was fishing. Jackie bushman and Bill Jordan come to mind for hunting the rest was fishing almost no shooting. Now I get 2 -24 hour channels on hunting and shooting. When I was a kid we only got Harold Ensley and Virgil Ward on Saturday. Times have changed. Doug

My first recollection of a hunting show...

I can remember when TNN was one of the few stations that showed hunting shows most was fishing. Jackie bushman and Bill Jordan come to mind for hunting the rest was fishing almost no shooting. Now I get 2 -24 hour channels on hunting and shooting. When I was a kid we only got Harold Ensley and Virgil Ward on Saturday. Times have changed. Doug

was AMERICAN SPORTSMAN with Curt Gowdy, on NBC television no less. A snowballs chance in hell of that happening on network TV today, which is why I watch NO conventional NW TV. Yes times have changed!!

Last edited:
american sportsman

I remember the American Sportsman. One show had Fess Parker shooting a bear. I was a kid and thought well, Daniel Boone killed another bear. Doug

was AMERICAN SPORTSMAN with Curt Gowdy, on NBC television no less. A snowballs chance in hell of that happening on network TV today, which is why I watch NO conventional NW TV. Yes times have changed!!

The show was on ABC television.

american sportsman

I must of been mistaking Fess parker for somebody else on the bear hunt. I looked on youtube and google and it aint to be found. All that came up was Fred Bear shooting bears with a bow. He shot polar bears and grizzlies with a bow. Probably had a guide standing behind him with a .375 H and H. but its still a hell of a feat. Doug

Oh

I must of been mistaking Fess parker for somebody else on the bear hunt. I looked on youtube and google and it aint to be found. All that came up was Fred Bear shooting bears with a bow. He shot polar bears and grizzlies with a bow. Probably had a guide standing behind him with a .375 H and H. but its still a hell of a feat. Doug

I'm sure he did. I would have felt better if the guide had a .416 Rigby!

Last edited:
Back