Data book recommendations please

A

AK-Novice

I am going to buy an IMPACT DATA BOOK and would appreciate recommendations for the best types of pages to use in the book, there are dozens to choose from. Strictly 22 rimfire targets and circles at 50 and 100 yards. Hopefully someone here is using that data book or can make recommendations.

I have very little experience bench rest shooting and here in Ketchikan Alaska I have never seen an actual bench rest shooter I could ask for help.

Last year I picked up an old Anschutz 1411 Match 54 with a 16X Bushnell scope from a local retired gentleman (90+) and the rifle seems to be in excellent condition. Shooting an IBS Rimfire 50 yard target of 25 bulls (250 max score) I am staying around 150-158 and determined to do better. Shooting Remington/Eley Match EPS.

You can not improve what you don't measure. Before I begin to change things I would like to keep a good record of what is going on now, then begin improvements (hopefully with help from this forum). I also want a nice record to go with the rifle to the next owner in 10 or 20 years.

I searched the archives but did not anything on this subject. New to this forum and this is my first post.

I'm just asking so I'll know exactly what you're looking for....What kind of info does a "IMPACT DATA BOOK" have?

You probably don't really need a data book, a small notebook is very useful for ammo info, lot umbers, tuner settings, test results. Recording scores, conditions, temperature, if you're real ambitious.

Impact Data Book contents

Three ring binder with 8.5 x 5.5 pages printed two sides. Comes with round COUNT pages (how many total fired through the rifle), RANGE CARDS and BLANK SKETCH pages.

I'm looking at about seven additional page types. The ISSF SMALL BORE would be typical; across the top Date, Time, Temperature, Humidity, Pressure, Wind speed and direction, light conditions and direction, ammunition type, target range, and shooting position. It has 20 small circles to plot each shot with elevation and wind notes, then one large circle to plot all 20 shots by shot number.

Additional page types might be BLANK FULL GRID for drawings of the range or area I'm shooting in, target stands, etc. COLD BORE is another, I'd like to know how many shots it really takes to warm up the rife and what effect it has, and if I ever wanted to be on target with only that first shot I'd like to know how to do it. MAINTENANCE LOG I would use for cleaning frequency and method in addition to any changes to the rifle. For 100 yard shooting I might use a specific page type for 6&8 inch SHOOT-N-C targets. NOTE PAGES for anything else like how I meet at the range or being distracted by the .50 caliber shooter or the kid next to me ejecting spent casings onto my bench.

I was really hoping most bench rest shooters kept some kind of log book from range trips about ammunition types, thoughts about different bench rest types and techniques, scope settings............ all that stuff in one book.

Hope you have some suggestions,

Bob

Ed Watson kept records but didn't keep them in such a book. He had a spiral notebook/pad for each range I think.

That said, I'm pretty sure such a "book" will not be of any use other than something to do while you're not doing anything else. There is nothing consitent about anything concerning Benchrest shooting except the distance from your house to the range. I applaud you for trying to think ahead and am convinced you're going to get such a book and use it. Further, I'm not saying you don't need this even if it appears that way...Ed Watson was a winner!

I'll be looking for such a book now that I know what I'm looking for....

OK - I actually read what you posted and apologize for my misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Thank you,

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess most of my thought process here is that I simply don't remember what I was doing last year, one book in the range bag for this rifle would put it all where I can find it.

The job doesn't let me get to the range often enough, and not at all during the summer when there is actually day light and not quiet as much rain.

Starting at pretty much zero there are a lot of things I want to do and keep a record of what and why. It will help me and if the rifle goes to another "novice" it might help them too.

Thanks again,

Bob

record keeping

I keep a record of my ammo and how they shoot in my different rifles.
The first column is ammo by lot and speed , next columns are different rifles with type of performance from the ammo.
It helps find my better ammo for my matches I want to do better in.

Rolling you own (book)

I was using a Jim Owens data book for my service rifle, vintage military bolt rifle and F-class matches. I found it only marginally easy to work with. When I got into benchrest, I needed records for that too. I didn't find any commercial data books that were attractive for any of these types of shooting. I then went to the internet and looked at a ton of different scoring sheets. I printed a bunch off and cut and pasted until I had sheets for all four types of shooting. I go to staples and make copies in a different color for each type of match. The are designed to be folded in half and used with a little half-sized clip board. After the match, I unfold them, punch holes in them and file in three-ring binders. I don't shoot much rimfire benchrest yet, except for one yearly competition that the Barre, VT range has using IR 50/50 targets. Interestingly, none of the data sheets I have is particularly useful for this. I just save my targets and make notes on them. I also make notes on lined paper and put the whole shebang into a notebook for later reference. I don't know that all this record keeping has made me a much better shooter, but it sure helps me feel more confident to go over them when preparing for the next match.

Clint Sweigert swig ergo bell south.net he sells a data book. You can call him at 502-750-3276. I use his book, however I add items to it. I have one for each rifle.
Hope this is helpful.

G'day.

I keep notes every time I visit the range. It's only a small notebook.

Recorded are 'Location, bench #, ammo & batch #, air temp, wind avg speed and direction and why I stuffed a shot (such as distracted, too much cheek pressure, bloke next to me shooting a 300WM with muzzle brake just as I squeezed off - it's that sort of club).

Each time I learn something new. The best advice that I got from this forum was to obtain a decent set of wind flags (I made some), the next best advice was to learn how to read them (still learning but getting better) and finally 'the more I practice the luckier I get'.

At least you are keeping notes - pick the headings that suit your style (it is not compulsory to fill in all the headings) then try to analyse any patterns. You should probably do better than people who do not bother to keep records.

I have an ancient Anschutz 1411, 42 years old and it is still very competitive although a bit picky about it's diet.

All the best * doghunter *

Back