dasher fl sizer die question

skeetlee

I have a new PTG 6 dasher reamer and I will soon be chambering my first barrel with it. Im going to need a fl sizer die, and I was wondering if I should just buy a redding or if a harrels would be a better choice. kiff told me my reamer was standard dimensions other than the neck. I went with a .266 and a .145 FB.

I have a new PTG 6 dasher reamer and I will soon be chambering my first barrel with it. Im going to need a fl sizer die, and I was wondering if I should just buy a redding or if a harrels would be a better choice. kiff told me my reamer was standard dimensions other than the neck. I went with a .266 and a .145 FB.

I use a Redding FL die and then a Wilson neck bushing die. Works pretty well. Easy to get proper shoulder bump and proper neck tension.

Wolfdawg

FL Size Die

Whidden Gunworks says their FL size dies are a good fit for PT&G chamber reamers. I just ordered a 6X47 Lapua die from them, so we'll see. Vic

Al. can't imagine where you got the idea the Whidden size dies aren't hardened?

Vic

Lucky for you you don't HAVE to imagine it!

:)

Today is your lucky day, I can TELL you........

I got the idea thusly.......... I called Whidden Gunworks ( whiddengunworks.net ) and spake with a nice feller name of 'John' and he done TOLE me they're not hardened. Now if 'John' has seen fit to begin hardening his dies than you may REST ASSURED I shall be ordering a bundle of them forthwith.

A BUNDLE....

al

Whidden Dies

Al, you made my day! Thanks. Now let me make yours!

I sent an email to Whidden Gunworks requesting information on the hardness of their sizing dies. An unhardened sizing die would be of questionable durability at best. Here is the answer I received this morning:

On Aug 25, 2014, at 6:29 AM, Whidden Gunworks <whiddengunworks@yahoo.com> wrote:

Victor

The dies are sent off to get harden .It is Carburize to C-60.

Thanks
David

So Al, I don't think you need to worry about Whidden dies being "unhardened". A die Carburized to Rockwell C-60 ( HRC 60 ) would be very hard indeed and provide very good wear resistance. I haven't been talking to "John", but David got my order out the same day. I'm sure he will be happy to take your order for a "bundle". Got your credit card handy? Vic

Last edited:
Well that's awesome..... I spoke with John as soon as his dies hit the market and at that time they weren't hardened, nor did John think it hoovis.

That seems to have changed.

YES, I have my checkbook out,

THANKS!

al

Back