Darn Savage!

T

tomo

Here's one for ya - So after running over a thousand rounds thru my factory Rem. 700 in 7 SAUM it was finally time to re tube it. It has been a great shooter for most of it's life but no more. Rich Reiley in Colorado Springs trued the action and fitted it with a new Lilja 3 groove tube. While Rich had my rifle I ran across a very good buy on a Savage Weather Warrior in .270 at a local store. They had it marked at $549 and on the day I was in the store, they were doing another 20% off! Could not resist, and I bought it. $400 and change. The barrel job, action work, and fluting on my 700 Remington cost me about a grand + what I had into it originally. I also restocked it in fiberglass and bedded it. Today I finally got to take it to the range, and after running thru the break in process the rifle did not disappoint. Shoots wonderfully - several nice little 5 shot clusters all about .5 to.6. No "fliers", everything nice and consistent, just the way I like it! After I finished up with it, I benched my little $450 Savage and proceeded to shoot a series of hand loads that I had stuffed for it. Nuthin fancy, no special case prep, just 130 grain SST's over some 4831SC. Long story short, it shoots every bit as good as my 7SAUM! UNBELIEVABLE! I should be irked about it but I am not! Amazing that a factory gun with one of the roughest barrels in the business can shoot like that! It was a really nice day!

I went to Bristol many years ago to tune up a new barrel on my benchrest rifle. Damn thing wouldn't shoot worth a flip but there was a young fellow there with two dadblamed Savage rifles that would shoot like the hammers of hell - both of them. One was a small caliber, don't remember which, and the other was a .308. Both shot well enough to surprise!

It's been like that with Savages for a couple of decades that I'm aware of. I bought one in the early mid-90's in 22-250 that originally got me started in the high accuracy game. I wonder what exactly made the design the most accurate? I suspect that there is something about the floating bolt head. I sure wasn't the barrel.

Savages

It's been like that with Savages for a couple of decades that I'm aware of. I bought one in the early mid-90's in 22-250 that originally got me started in the high accuracy game. I wonder what exactly made the design the most accurate? I suspect that there is something about the floating bolt head. I sure wasn't the barrel.

Yup........ makes a guy scratch his head when he sees a 400$ gun shoot as well as a 2000$ gun.The floating bolthead has to be a lot of it.....
I`ve never slugged a savage barrel..... but it could be interesting....... I`ve looked at them with a borescope and they looked bad...10$ plastic stock...unbedded,ruff crowns,chatter,ripped rifleing and way oversize chambers.....and they shot dam good......?????

Steve, idont know what you are going to do with it but try it out before a rebarrel. i bought an m4, 7 twist and worked up loads with 69 gr matchking,sierra 60 gr hp varminter#1375 and speer 55gr full metal jacketed bullets. it shot all of them far better than i expected.

Get fast success in ccnp exam and security+ training course exam questions by using our cisco ccna training - pass4-sure and www.usuhs.mil We also offer up-to-date Hodges University and answers for your prep of Nova Southeastern University

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve, idont know what you are going to do with it but try it out before a rebarrel. i bought an m4, 7 twist and worked up loads with 69 gr matchking,sierra 60 gr hp varminter#1375 and speer 55gr full metal jacketed bullets. it shot all of them far better than i expected.

Get fast success in ccnp exam and security+ training course exam questions by using our cisco ccna training - pass4-sure and www.usuhs.mil We also offer up-to-date Hodges University and answers for your prep of Nova Southeastern University

Don't think the advertising is going to sit well with the CCBW.

+1 on the Savage barrel roughness--I bought a used Savage .308 hunting rifle on sale 20% off at a local gunshop, tried it out with some factory ammo on the way home. OMG, the first 5 shot group was about 3/4". Bad news is, the second group was 1 1/2", and the third was 2 1/2". Looked down the barrel, and it was all copper. Borescope showed like venetian blinds on the lands after the copper was cleaned out. Made it into a Palma rifle with a takoff Kreiger 1/13" from Larry Racine, and bedded into an aluminum block in a Numrich junk bin Win52 thumbhole stock. Got my Master LR card with it, cleaned the 800 and 900 a few times, but never the 1K. Have to sell it, cataract killed the iron sight game.

Back