"DA" question on scopes as to shooting accuracy

S

ss1

What makes a Leupold [or why is] or [better] scope, more accurate than a cheap scope scope like Tasco 6x24 [or less]. Shooting at 50yds, from rest, at target only!! ??? Both would have AO. Using same target ammo. I know that there has to be a big difference in accuracy, for BR people to use very expensive scope. Also, if you all are shooting .2 @ 50yds, with your best scope, and went to a Tasco[or less], what size would your group now become, and why. [both with same power]. This is really two questions. I probably use to know, however in my 70's, I have forgotten a FEW things.:) I would really appreciate your answer.

I think it's reliability and clairity more than accuracy.

I know that there has to be a big difference in accuracy, for BR people to use very expensive scope. Also, if you all are shooting .2 @ 50yds, with your best scope, and went to a Tasco[or less], what size would your group now become, and why.

If both scopes are equally reliable, there would be no change in group size. I think the reason the expensive scopes are used is the quality control that goes into building them. That's probably also the reason they're expensive. The biggest advantage Leupold has is the warranty, and the warranty is both testimony to the quality and an incentive to maintain the quality. Also in general, the more expensive scopes will have greater clarity and brightness because of the quality of the components. There is a possibility that you could purchase a Tasco (or less) and use it with success; however, you must be able to depend upon your scope and know you can depend on it, or you will begin to play mind games with yourself and your scope will become a liability.

Any Tasco, BSA or similar scope I have looked thru has crosshairs about the size of 2x4's. They would cover the bull on a rimfire target making accurate hold offs (or hold on's for that matter) difficult. Of course what the others have said is true also.

Ken

scope quality vs. accuracy

design, care of assembly and principally lense quality, i.e., clarity and light transmission

Tango Two hit it right on the button......the reticles used. I started with a BSA because it was what I had. You could not accurately aim the same place every time because of the crosshairs. I now shoot a Leupold (mind you the Weaver 36 and Sightrons are very nice and comparable) that has a dot similar in size to the ARA dot in the center of the 100 ring and hold ons and hold offs are much, much easier and much, much more repeatable. Beau and several others were correct also about the clarity.

Carp

I started back in 96 with a Leupold 36x and in 97 added a second gun with a Tasco World Class Plus 36X with 50 mm for about $150. Fine crosshairs like my Leupold with dot. They discontinued it shortly after. The Tasco had 1/8 clicks vs the Leupold 36X 1/4 which I find quite an advantage in 50 yd benchrest. The Leupold many times is off a hair one way and one click puts it a hair the otherway. I have gotten used to it. The tasco worked for about 8 years, pretty good considering its price. However it lost its ability to focus at 50 yds. 55 was about minimum. So now it sits on a 220 swift that doesn't shoot 50 yards and I replaced it with a Weaver T36 in 05 which I like very much. It is much newer than my old Leupold so comparison may not be valid. But it seems clearer, more positive in adjustment etc. Will have to see how it last. Rich

I have two 36x BR Leupolds that I have had for about 10 years. They work as good today as they did when I bought them.

I recently started working with old savage anschutz and added a 24x Tasco to it. The Tasco has BIG crosshairs, since my Leupolds have the super small ones, it was a big change.

One thing I have noticed more than anything this the Tasco will move efectivly one or two clicks, then on the third click it jumps more than normal. I never had this issue with my 36x BR scopes.

We shoot 20 yards, and its all the 36x Leupolds can do to get the parrelax down at that yardage, but it can do it. Back when I bought them, they was one of the few 36x that effectivly performed at that yardage with that magnification.

Back