Cz 527 varmint

Stevep51d

Would like to know other shooters opinions on this rifle in 223 remington. I have had shotguns shoot tighter than this gun....I am currently getting 2 inch groups with various loads and cant get any consistency with it....Thanks Steve

I've got a CZ527 American in .222 that did the same thing. I firelapped the barrel, had it recrowned (along with ~1/2" cut off to remove some chatter marks at the muzzle), pillar bedded it, and did everything I could think of. Finally I checked to see what kind of contact the locking lugs were making. The top (left hand, split) locking lug was only making contact on about 20% of its surface. I lapped the lugs and it now shoots pretty well for a light rifle. You might check the locking lug contact just in case.

Feedback on CZ Rifle Question.

Recently purchased a new CZ550 American in 308 win. Factory preparation was poor,atrocious bedding and light but very creepy and scratchy trigger. Epoxy bedded the action and cleaned up the trigger and this rifle has turned out to be the best 308 sporter I have ever owned.Trigger is an absolute delight and I dont even bother with the double set. Accuracy is outstanding with 3 shot groups at 100yds better than.5" with three different bullet weights. Rifle loves 165g sierra hollow points,shot a three shot .25" a few days ago with this pill. Best of luck with your CZ. Murphy

I had a CZ Varmint in 17 Rem that shot solid half inch groups, also had a sporter 223 that did just about as well. All I did was to do a quick and easy glass bedding job of the recoil lug and tuned loads. That was 2 - 3 years ago, maybe they have gone down hill on the quality ??

Do the bullets you're using like to be close to the lands? I had a CZ527 V in .204 Ruger that would shoot like a house on fire if loaded .005", of course that would nowhere near fit the magazine. It was a 1/2 moa or better shooter as a single shot and about .75 if a repeater.

If you've had the action out of the stock check to make sure it when back in correct! I've got 3 550's and 1 is hard to get seated correctly. The others just almost fall back into the stock. I guess it's just a little tighter? Some say the screws are pretty senitive to torque setting also so you might look in that direction! Good Luck

Whistler has a good point.

The 527's can get in a bit of a bind quite easily when reassembling them.

The top of the magazine well section of the bottom metal needs to locate accurately into the recess in the action. If it wasn't located properly it would probably still be possible to assemble and shoot the rifle but the thing wouldn't be pulled down on the bedding properly.

Seems like a long short but worth a look all the same.

Bryce

I have a .223 that shoots really well. It likes 50gr BT's and TnT's. A powder that works well in it is AA2015. I did pillar bed the action and make sure the barrel was free floating before I shot it. BTW those bullets are loaded to 2.260 OAL. The BT jump .118 and the TnT jumps .060.

Check your scope. Experience with my 527 is..... the scope base pads aren't level. The back is something like .015-.020" lower than the front which put the rings way out of alignment. It's a bastard size dovetail and I'm not aware of a Burris Signature made for that gun. To make the rings work took a lot of trial and error and very careful shimming that looked mickey mouse. It wasn't permanent, just enough to fire the gun and make sure it went bang. My solution will be to have those pads milled true and then attach some real mounts. You shouldn't have to go through that stuff with a gun.

Also it's a gritty action, not very smooth. Some people just love those things but I'd rather spend the money and have one Sako than two CZ's.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cz527

I did notice that the gun was in a bind because I did not put it back together correctly..Also the lugs did need lapping and a earlier post spoke of.. I only had maybe 20 percent on the ejector side....60 percent on the other....I also agree that you should not have to work on one this much!.. I will shoot it this weekend and if not good off to the chopping block and in with something a little better!

CZ 527 varmnt

Ok The results are in....Finally after getting the gun put together correctly and lapping in the lugs I got this rifle to the range today..The gun shot equally well with both Sierra 40 varmint and Hornady V-maxs...Groups were about 3/4 inch or a little smaller for 5 shots with no flyers....I am now happy with this rifle and look forward to playing smackdown with the local coyotes soon.......When I have time I will play with the powder A little and brass....By the way I was Shooting AA2015 25 grains, Cheapo Remington brass with Winchester primers...Thanks for the assistance from everyone! Steve

The 3 most popular problems with CZ rifles (very popular in my country):
- not fully freefloating barrel,
- carelessly finished crown,
- trigger needs polishing.
When those things are corrected those rifles can be very accurate (I had 527Varmint in 222rem).

lu.dzie Your CZ check list is the same as mine. I just go ahead and do these thing before shooting. Kenny

Cz527

One problem I am having is a lot of primers getting pierced without any other signs of pressure...Is this normal with this gun? Also I would like to speed the lock up a little, Have you two ever put in a little tighter spring?

You shouldn't be blanking primers. See if the pin is rough and or switch to a tougher primer. You will have faster lock time by not using the set feature. You can get the regular trigger pretty nice and not use the set. Kenny

Cz527

Ok I will work on the trigger..As for the pin it may be too sharp or possibly to long>>>>Anyone know what the protusion is supposed to be?

One problem I am having is a lot of primers getting pierced without any other signs of pressure...Is this normal with this gun? Also I would like to speed the lock up a little, Have you two ever put in a little tighter spring?

Stop using Winchester primers! They are the softest out there. Steer clear of brass colored primers. Get a nickel primer like a CCI or Federal.

Ok The results are in....Finally after getting the gun put together correctly and lapping in the lugs I got this rifle to the range today..The gun shot equally well with both Sierra 40 varmint and Hornady V-maxs...Groups were about 3/4 inch or a little smaller for 5 shots with no flyers....I am now happy with this rifle and look forward to playing smackdown with the local coyotes soon.......When I have time I will play with the powder A little and brass....By the way I was Shooting AA2015 25 grains, Cheapo Remington brass with Winchester primers...Thanks for the assistance from everyone! Steve

Most factory guns out there aren't going to shoot really well w/o some bedding work and lapping the lugs. The exceptions might be Sako and Tikka(another Sako). Your lugs however were particularly bad. For more accuracy ditch that Remington brass. Winchester is a little better, but won't yield much better accuracy unless you weight sort after uniforming primer pockets, trimming to length, and de-burring flash-holes. With Lapua and Norma you can skip the flash-holes. Go ahead and uniform primer pockets and trim to length before you weight sort, but I can promise you'll be able to that job much faster, because the pockets are more uniform, and you'll get more cases weight almost the same weight as well. V-maxes are great economy varmint bullet, but for paper they seem a little lacking. I've shot Hornady A-maxes and FB Match bullets almost as good as a good custom bullet. Nosler Ballistic Tips shoot better than V-maxes. For more accuracy on a budget I'd say shoot Noslers in Lapua brass. If you're really strapped then get some Winchester brass and be prepared to spend a LOT of time in prep or it just won't shoot any better. Also, you should partial size(use FL die turned out a few turns so that it only sizes a little over half the neck), not FL. Check seating depth. You may not get maximum accuracy with a loaded round that fits in the mag. This will also be the case for most rifles not just CZ. My personal experience with CZ has been that they make outstanding rifles for a gun in their price range. Tikka probably has everyone under $1000 beat for out of the box accuracy though.

Back