custom varmint build question

skeetlee

thinking about building a long range yote killer and cant decide what action to go with. rem or savage. i think the price is about the same for each. i know the savage will be cheaper in the long run, but i just dont think i like the looks and feel of the savage action. i also know that that should not matter but it kinda does. what would you do? thanks lee

I would get the savage single shot action that they sell as just an action. The draw back is that the Savage comes in a 223 bolt head but that can be changes i believe rather easy.

The only reason I would go with a remmy 700 action is the fact that I can get a Jewell trigger for it. Plus if you shop around you can find a Remmy 700 SPS on the cheap then sell the stock and barrel to gain some money back from the purchas. seen the SPS stock on ebay going to $100 to $150 (must be that ultra cool mall ninja look they have). I bought one for $60 and seen that it was really not even worth that but, it is my beater stock that I did a krylon camo job on.

Skeetlee: I have several custom Rifles built on Remington 700 and XP-100 actions.
They all shoot REALLY well!
I have a Darrell Holland built 6mm Remington Ackley Improved built on a 700 action. This Rifle has a long heavy barrel (26" Hart) and has been just a joy to shoot, Hunt with and own (its beautiful!) and the capability of the 6mm A.I. is something special as well!
For long range Coyotes, Antelope and Rock Chucks this Rifle has done super duty for me.
Your perceptions of the savage action are the main reasons I have never owned one.
Granted I am sure it would be accurate but it would still be a savage.
Best of luck with whichever you choose and be sure to look into the 6mm Remington Ackley Improved for your long range Coyote getter!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

If you like the feel of the Remington action better, then by all means I would go with the Remington because in my opinion the "feel" of a rifle is one of the most important things! A rifle that you like the feel of will consistently help you shoot better in my opinion.

custom varmint build

with a trued remington action ,a custom barrel; a good trigger you willl be amazed .

Back