Crunch Time

Andy Cross

As those who have watched my posts over the last few months know I have got back into BR shooting after a 15 year absence. Crunch time has come where I have accumilated the money to start buying parts for a new LV build.

Too many options as far as actons, barrels, scopes etc to choose between. But the trend in Oz seems to be Kelby actions, either Kelby or Lilja barrels, jewel triggers and McMillan CF stocks complemented with march scopes.

Any ideas on a build you would put together and more importantly why would be appreciated. Also considering a switch barrel system to go from light to heavy. The why's on the likes and dislikes for that idea would also appreciated.

Regards,
Andy.

crunch time

Andy,

Bat actions and Krieger or Bartlein barrels are all the go with the majority of Ozzy's better shooters...The only reason you have heard of Kelbly actions and Lilja barrels is because the gunsmith you "may" have been talking to cant get Stiller actions because of a short supply and wont deal with Maddco barrels...Nothing wrong with Kelbly actions, I have one and a Bat but would steer clear of Lilja 6mm barrels...like I said earlier Krieger, Bartlein & Maddco would be my pick not in any particular order...as for stocks the Mcmillan are popular as are Kelblys, Scoville & Scarborough

My dream rifle is a Bat DS action, Kelbly Klub stock, Krieger barrel, Jewel Trigger and March scope...have it all but the March scope which will never happen on my wage but a Leupold Comp scope might have to do.

Steve

Thanks for your reply. I had a madco tube on my first 6ppc and it shot pretty well. I would consider getting another but to the best of my knowledge Nevil Madden has all but retired. Trying to get anything from him seems virtually impossible.

I will keep your dream rifle in mind as I debate the situation.

Andy.

crunch time

Andy,

Nev is definitely not anywhere near retired...was talking to him last week...he has plenty of time to make barrels for the domestic market now the Aussie dollar is so high against the US dollar...he was finishing building his house a few years ago so it was hard to get barrels at that time...I have never had more then a 2 week turn around getting 6mm barrels from Nev.

Cheers
Steve

I prefer the stiller actions with the drop port. Leupold 45 or Weaver 36 scope.

chech out benchrestbulletin.net/drupal.There is a "BR" rifle for sale on there.
Good luck jim

There are usually more than a few available here on BRCentral in the classifieds section

Back