CPS Aluminum Stock?

B

bl4ckd0g

I am thinking of purchasing a used BR rifle from Shooter's Corner that is stocked with a CPS aluminum "I-Beam" skeleton stock. I am just starting out and my budget is limited, so I'm focusing more on something used to build up my skills, and hunt prairie dogs, crows, or marmots.

Bob White touts the enhanced accuracy of a rigid stock, which I imagine is quite stiff. Does anyone here have an opinion or experience with them?

Also, would anyone here be able to post picture or two of it?

You'll definitely want to see a picture IMO. You might get laughed off the varmint patch packin' a screen door :D

The only pix I've seen were in "The Ultimate in Rifle Accuracy" I THINK....... I seem to recall Glen Newick using one in 6BR.

Someone on here will be able to correct me now that the ball's rolling ;) be patient.

al

I am thinking of purchasing a used BR rifle from Shooter's Corner that is stocked with a CPS aluminum "I-Beam" skeleton stock. I am just starting out and my budget is limited, so I'm focusing more on something used to build up my skills, and hunt prairie dogs, crows, or marmots.

Bob White touts the enhanced accuracy of a rigid stock, which I imagine is quite stiff. Does anyone here have an opinion or experience with them?

Pass on the CPS stocked rifle, although it most likely will shoot just fine, when it comes time for re-selling the rifle you will find it to be one large headache because of the lack of familiarity.

Stick with the tried, true, traditional stuff until you are well versed in the BR equipment race, then you can explore the fringe stuff like CPS gunstocks and know what you are getting into.............Don

I am cut from the cloth of shooters who believes "a gun should look like a gun", even if it has a big neon green fiberglass stock that resembles a '57 Bel Air's taillight fin.

Thanks, I'll be sure to pass on the "screen door"

It is just awfull,had 2 of them and no good,they bite and look ugly and would never buy one or let someone give me one.

That's one ugly rifle stock. I'd rather sell it for $2.00 to the scrap yard and put on something a bit more conservative.

CPS aluminum stocks

I sold Bob White two rifles about 8-10 years ago.

1. CPS AHV (Aluminum Heavy Varmint), flat bottom, right bolt, left port action, Gunsmithing and barrel by Lilja, Hart 2oz trigger, (6PPC, .264 ND) and the CPS aluminum AHV stock, Redfield 3200 24X scope.

2. Time Percision (CPS) ALV (Aluminum Light Varmint), flat bottom, right bolt, left port action, Hart barrel, Gunsmithing by me, (6PPC, 264 ND), Jewell 2oz trigger, and the CPS aluminum stock, Leupold 36X scope.

Jones and Wilson reloading dies and all the other odd's and end's for benchrest shooting.

I can't say enough of how accurate and fine these rifles were. The aluminum flat bottom action and aluminum I beam stock is the last word in simplicity and rigity in the LV and HV class. Both of the actions as stated above are flat bottom. The stocks are flat top. All that is required is to rough up both surfaces, then glue and bolt together. No bedding problems ever! These rifles with the aluminum stock, would make a ping sound when fired. When working up a load, the bedding is the last thing you have to worry about.

I had the set, HV and LV. Most of the time the LV gun would out shoot the HV gun, then the HV gun would come alive......go figure. Overall, these two guns were the ultimate in percision accuracy. As far as the stocks go, you will either love them or hate them. As for recoil, after all, it's in 6PPC!, Also, these stocks are adaptable to round actions too, using a sleeved remington. I also had and sold on this forum two other CPS aluminum stocks. One HV and one LV. Don't know, but mabe what your looking at is one of my ol'pals...........KERMIT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back