copper

H

hailey

Anybody have any secrets about how to get copper out of a barrel that has never been cleaned.Bought a used rem 700 pss dont think the guy ever cleaned the barrel out...

Anybody have any secrets about how to get copper out of a barrel that has never been cleaned.Bought a used rem 700 pss dont think the guy ever cleaned the barrel out...

Brush it with Sweets 7.62 and a bronze brush. Use plenty of Sweets so as to completely saturate the barrel. Make twenty round trips with the brush and leave the brush hanging out the muzzle with the blue goop on it. By leaving the barrel wet and the cleaning rod in the bore, the Sweets and blue goop from the brush will quickly dissolve any remaining copper. Let this set for about twenty minutes. When brushing, always place a plastic bottle over the muzzle, which prevents atomizing fine particles of cleaning solvent into the air and into our lungs. Bad stuff! :eek: Butylcellosolve is a known carcinogen.

Make twenty more round trips with the rod, withdraw it and wipe off all the blue goop and spray the brush with brake cleaner or swish around in a bottle of alcohol. Contrary to what some say, the brush can be used again and again if you wash it thoroughly before putting it away.

Run a couple of dry patches to push out all the nasty mess that remains in the barrel and wash it out with two or three soppy wet patches of Butch's or Shooter's choice. Finish by short stroking a tight fitting patch of JB or IOSSO. Wash it out again with a soppy wet patch or two of Butch's or SC, run one dry patch and "Voila" good as new. :D

Gene Beggs

sweets

I have always used sweets it won't touch this barrel,never used a plastic bottle guess i never gave it much thought maybe i better start.Anyway the barrel looks to have surface rust in it I'm sure theres no getting it out.The patches are coming out clean no blue,I wonder how long it will shoot..:mad::mad::mad:

Way back, I read in Brownell's first Gunsmithing Kinks about using sulfuretted cutting oil as a bore cleaner of last resort when all else fails. At the time, I had a Army & Navy Store .375/2½" built on a BSA Mark II* commercial action, rib, express sights & the whole shooting match, that had sat in a museum in South Africa for a few decades. When nothing else would do anything for the bore, I scrubbed it with cutting oil on a bronze brush & left it gooped up overnight. What was left of the bore patched out bright the next morning, but man, was there some pitting under the copper & rust!

I've since used the technique as a first preference for any barrel that I'm asked to resurrect. It seems to be less threatening to barrels of any quality than some processes we use.

Last edited:
If all else fails and the barrel is a rightoff. Try cleaning with Ferric Chloride.
PC board etchant from electronic shops.

Get a bottle of eliminator,it will get it out in a few minutes.

hailey ...

Anybody have any secrets about how to get copper out of a barrel that has never been cleaned.

After you've used a routine cleaning method, run 3 to 5 tight fitting patches of JB Cleaner through the barrel, short stroking as you go. Then clean the JB out. That should do it. If not, use some more JB. Art

Back