Cooper Action tolerances etc

Ackley Improved

Guy

Any of you worked with a Coopers action? How do they fair on being square and how are the tolerances?

I plan on getting one, and at a later date if I rebarrel, well I want to know if it will be worth rebarrelling?

This not ment to be a thread against Coopers at all, just wanting to now where they sit in the action world... maybe above a Remington... but not up there with a BAT.... Just honest opinions. We know they shoot well...

Some of you guys have had to check them out just for your own curiosity!

Cheers
AI

I have had only one in the shop to rebarrel and it was much better then a Remington for square and bolt lug match up. They are a little spendy but not a bad gun, the stock left a little to be desired as far as looks but a good shooter.

You telling me one guy (thaks) has worked on Cooper rifles here? Not one of you has been curious to tolerances or squareness when rebarrelling?

Cheers
AI

AI;
I'll bet that the vast majority of Cooper rifles do not get enough use to require major gunsmithing. In fact, the guys I know that have them seem to use them for show pieces. Not a knock on the rifle, they seem to think they are to pretty to shoot. A second reason is these rifles are seldom seen in Benchrest(Capitol"B").

Mike Swartz

AI;
I'll bet that the vast majority of Cooper rifles do not get enough use to require major gunsmithing. In fact, the guys I know that have them seem to use them for show pieces. Not a knock on the rifle, they seem to think they are to pretty to shoot. A second reason is these rifles are seldom seen in Benchrest(Capitol"B").

Mike Swartz

Good point... I cant imagine many Coopers going in for a rebarrel, chances are the barrels wont be shot out for a long while collecting dust in a safe.

I find it interesting that know one has had the interest in testing these actions though....

As for being to pretty to shoot.. the one I have ordered is going to see some work... they are not a BAT in a Scoville are they?

Cheers
AI

I just did a Cooper

I really like them. One thing I noticed is the action is threaded and squared off at a mill. You can easily see the cutter marks. I didn't feel I needed to do anything to the action at all. Whether this Rock creek barrel will shoot??? I don't know. ;-)

I really like them. One thing I noticed is the action is threaded and squared off at a mill. You can easily see the cutter marks. I didn't feel I needed to do anything to the action at all. Whether this Rock creek barrel will shoot??? I don't know. ;-)

Thanks Mate.. Its even better when you hear those words when you have ordered a Coopers rifle!

If the thing dont shoot, at least its worth screwing another barrel onto!

Cheers
AI

I have one of those Bad Boys 22-250AI Mod 22 Classic

Mine I think I made a stupid mistake. Bought it brand new in 22-250AI shot it off Cad well bags. I'd get a tight group then unexplainable fliers. Shot it off sticks in the field and it was as if I couldn't miss a squirrel . But on the bench it was a different story any how the Cooper BBL ( Really a Wilson) had a slow 14"twist . I believed the "8" twist hype so I Had to have one so I sent the rifle back to Rock Creek have them install a 5R 8"twist SS Cut rifled BBL. So 7 long months later I get it back and I shoot it off the bench with same method and I get unexplained fliers. But I also take it in the field and shot a Fox off sticks and he blew up and was dead before he hit the ground. Unexplained fliers I re-examined my bench techniques . That Cad well rest rocks its unstable and I was resting my rifle on the tip of :confused:Fore arm . Dumb me So I then used standard sand bag rest and rested the rifle at where the middle of the checkering is. I shot a nice type group what an idiot I am I'm so pissed at my self i could scream. Oh any how Rock Creek said they had to true the action and recommended I get a piller bedding job.

Back