Converting 722 SA to BDL style

W

westy

I have a Remington 722 (6MM Rem) that I want to restock. I was thinking of converting it too a BDL style and hence, I was looking at Brownell's conversion kits. Are the action bolt spacings for the 722 the same as the current 700 SA ??? Will this be a direct conversion??

thanks in advance :rolleyes:

same hole spacing

You should be able to do a search on this,as we discuss this pretty often.You need a BDL mag. box or grind off the bottom of the 722 to fit,a Bdl floorplate,the 722 spring and follower work,no need to replace them.If you keep the 722 trigger you need to take some wood or material off so the 722 safety lever will clear,maybe a bit of material so the bolt handle clears,but most stocks will clear the bolt.If you put a 700 trigger in,then you need to grind off some metal along the rear tang so the 700 safety lever will clear,as it doesn't stick out as far as the 722 safety lever,and the levers won't interchange,rest is just bedding the barrel channel to fit the 722 rear sight boss if you have the 26" barrel.

Great... Thanks Terry.

You took my initial question and then went through the entire process !!

Terry describes it very well. I did one several years ago and it came out very well. It even has a 700 bolt. A 700 trigger was installed so the 700 stock wouldn't need to be altered......grinding/refinishing the tang edge isn't difficult. With care it can be done to look just like a 700. A 700 barrel screwed onto that action and headspaced fine with no modification. Another 722 will be getting the same treatment.

Does that old 722 in 6mm or .244 have a 1:12 twist barrel. Despite all the bad press, they shoot like a dream. I have one that loves 60gr Sierra HPFB bullets. Peter.

Back