Converted Rem. Action Junk Or Keeper

G

giblett

Chance To Buy Left Hand Short Action Rem. Rifle. Rifle Is Chambered For 221 Fireball. Problem Is It Has .308 Bolt Face But Has A Bushing To Make It 223 Bolt Face. Also Bolt Milled Out And Has Ar Type Extractor. I Am Left Handed. I Know Barrel Is Trash And Would Like To Know If Bolt Is Also. Price Is 250. Would Like To Build 6 Mm Rem. Plus Any Good Smiths In East Texas Area If Action Is Still Good. Plan On Rifle To Be A Sporter For Hunting Coyotes And Deer.

The bolt being bushed down to the small bolt face isn't a problem and the action isn't junk because of the modification. However, once a M-16 or Sako style extractor is installed set to depth for the small bolt face, that pretty well makes it a small bolt face action for the rest of it's life unless you change out bolts in it. It's highly impractical to open up a bushed bolt face once the extractor has been set to depth for the small bolt face. Opening the bolt face isn't the problem, but the extractor being set to depth for the small bolt face is. One other way to go would be to have the original bolt nose removed and replaced with a Savage bolt nose. That might be less expensive than replacing the bolt. I haven't installed Savage bolt heads on Remingtons so don't know what the cost would be for someone who does that mod.

Joel Pendergraft has replaced the Remington bolt heads with a Savage on several of his actions, and one of mine. For both liability and cost reasons, I don't believe he wants to do it for a general audience. The reason I'm posting is that it took us about 7 hours to do mine -- we probably did more than you'd want; that time include sleeving the bolt, starting with a piece of 304 SS that had to be bored out. -- Hey. It was laying around. You know how it goes -- sure, 304 cuts hard, but it's only gonna be this one time . . .

Then I measured the timing wrong & "fixed " it (a tip: always measure the clearance just before the bolt hits the extraction cam, not when it is fully closed). Which meant we had to do some more work.

But the absolute minimum requires cutting off the old bolt head, measuring & drilling a hole in the bolt for the Savage bolthead retaining pin (better use a carbide drill), and redoing the firing pin to fit the new bolthead. Of course, you also have to buy the Savage parts, and sometimes they have to be trued. On Joel's rifle, the .308 head and the mag head had some size differences that had to be made common.

For your project, all in all, with the cost of a new Remington bolt plus the fitting, or a conversion to a Savage bolthead(s), after already paying $250 for the old Remington, I think a Predator Action (Remington drop-in) from Jerry Stiller would suit you much better, for more or less the same amount of money when all is said & done. He advertises a left-left configuration; have no idea if he has any on the shelf.

Starting with a Predator, I'd bet Mike Bryant would do the rest of your work. That too would be a plus.

Last edited:
Back