Congress knows how to save energy!!!

Big brother protecting me from myself!!

CSL's?? new one on me , and I did not know incandescents will be banned after 2014.

Lets review:

the new CSL's mandated by Congress may be "slightly " hazardous to your health if you break one.....a bit of mercury will be released.....and ingested or absorbed through skin.................apparently it's more dangerous when it comes from a fish :confused:, therefore mercury (Hg) may or may not be hazardous. Apparently the billions of CSL's in the landfills will not be a hazard......perhaps the mercury becomes inert once under ground.

Candles.....NFG.......wicks contain lead (Pb) soon to be banned ....along with bullets

Campfire.....Although I live in a rural area, my township has a permanent ban on open flames under the guise of brush fire prevention................it can rain for several days straight and I still can't legally have an open flame

Incandescents.....Edison's simple, cheap invention still works great....but not GREEN enough............destined for confiscation along with our guns.

............or is the master plan to eventually just keep us in the dark?

Incandescents.....Edison's simple, cheap invention still works great....but not GREEN enough............destined for confiscation along with our guns.

............or is the master plan to eventually just keep us in the dark?

It's definitely part of the get our guns plot!!! :confused: :confused:

You guys love to be negative and go off the deep end. Try to build a house to sell with the old gas lighting of the 1800's. You can't! Another plot. :D Pretty soon they will be trying to force auto makers to make cars that waste less energy!! :eek: The law may not be the best way to handle it, but let's not go off the deep end every chance we can!

It's definitely part of the get our guns plot!!! :confused: :confused:

You guys love to be negative and go off the deep end. Try to build a house to sell with the old gas lighting of the 1800's. You can't! Another plot. :D Pretty soon they will be trying to force auto makers to make cars that waste less energy!! :eek: The law may not be the best way to handle it, but let's not go off the deep end every chance we can!

Question # 1: Who wants to ban all incandescent light bulbs?

Question # 2: Who's running off the deep end every chance they get?

Art

Question # 1: Who wants to ban all incandescent light bulbs?

Question # 2: Who's running off the deep end every chance they get?

Art

Answer #1: As I said, not the best way to handle getting Americans to save energy! Incentives and having a president that would talk to the people whould be better that passing a law.

Answer #2: Sorry, I don't know! Who's running off the deep end every chance they get? :confused: It certainly has to be someone who doesn't agree with you that banning incandescant light bulbs and banning all guns is the very same issue. :D

incandescent bulbs are going away like the gas lamp and the oil lamp before. Lighting is improving constantly now. CFLs are getting cheaper. (The speaker pointed out that CFLs are made in China. I doubt we make incandescent bulbs in America either)

The cleanup procedure is a joke, especially when you consider how many of us played with mercury with our bare hands in school when we were kids.

I'm retrofitting a house right now with a newly released LED downlight. It is the first I've seen that has a light quality that is virtually indistinguishable from incandescent. It produces the light of a 65 watt bulb for a mere 12 watts without all the waste heat to deal with. When we switched to these bulbs throughout the house we were able to reduce the air conditioning tonnage from 5 to 4 because we were close to the edge.

These lights are designed to last 50,000 hours instead of 1500. At 50k they produce 70% of the light that they produce when new. They cost 94$. I assume the costs will fall some in spite of increasing material costs. The LEDs are produced in NC although the housings are made in China. They are dimmable to 20% and are compatible with Lutron systems.

They come on instantly with no delay and my clients and everyone else that has seen them on have been surprised at the quality of light. Now if I can just afford them at my house.

My 17 year old turns on 6 75watt bulbs in his room and never turns them off till he goes to sleep no matter where he is in the house. In his room I'd save 12 cents a night or 40$ a year and I would save 25$ in bulb replacement. The retrofit in his room would pay off in about 9 years. This doesn't take into account the cost of capital or the savings on air conditioning. As you can see, this isn't for everyone yet or for every circumstance as the savings on a little used bulb would be small. I do like the idea of never changing a light bulb again or going to the store to buy them.

Incandescent bulbs are very wasteful and are hurting our ability to control our energy use but I wouldn't argue the merits of banning them.

Did anyone here get upset when the 1.6 gallon flush toilet replaced the 5 gallon flush toilet by government mandate? It seems like a good idea now. It wasn't going to happen voluntarily. Government mandates aren't the problem. The only valid issue I see is who gets to decide where we draw the line. I guess we'll know in November. I love America.

Personally, I like the CF bulbs.

I don't have to change them very often.

And I'm going to look into getting some of those LED setups for my "stepladder" lights. I figure if I don't have to climb the ladder, I have less of a chance of spending the insurance co-pay, etc., for a broken leg...

since you asked................

i

Did anyone here get upset when the 1.6 gallon flush toilet replaced the 5 gallon flush toilet by government mandate? It seems like a good idea now. It wasn't going to happen voluntarily. Government mandates aren't the problem. The only valid issue I see is who gets to decide where we draw the line. I guess we'll know in November. I love America.

.......................Me...............it took the industry 15 years to get them to finally work on one flush..............talk about good intentions going awry..............1.6 gal X 3 flushes = 4.8 gal. per use................conservation ---NOT

I'm not aware of 5 gal toilets (maybe a Texas model) .....most toilets in preceeding years used up to 3.5 gal.

Don't see why consumers would not have opted for them...HAD THEY WORKED!

Ray............................................... .....................

I like the CFL bulbs also....... haven't seen much improvement in energy savings, but like Chuck said they last a long time, which makes them worthwhile to me. I'll have to check-out those new LED bulbs.
The biggest energy savings for me was when my daughter got married and moved out.............graduated from college with honors, but still didn't know that the switch had an off position!!

LH that 5 gallon toilet must have been the Micheal Moore addition!!:D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a florscent screw in bulb on my outside deck that works fine until the temperature gets down to 32 degrees or below. When it gets that cold it puts out almost no light at all.

My kids have them through out their place and most of them stick out of the fixtures to much and are to bright, They are talking about changing all the switches to ones that adjust the power of electricity.

gt40

Notice that CF bulbs keep getting better. They used to have a gray depressing light. Now they are harder to tell from incandescent bulbs.

The biggest energy savings for me was when my daughter got married and moved out.............graduated from college with honors, but still didn't know that the switch had an off position!!

She just knew who was paying the the electrical bill. Now that she's paying it, she change! :D

the advantage besides cost

Not being a technical type, all I know is that here in Wild and Wonderful WV, the constant minor voltage surges kept me changing incandescent bulbs all the time. Even w/o the savings, I would use the CF bulbs for their longevity.

ROFLMAO, Phil. When they move out and that cash starts coming out of their pocket, they get smart fast. ;)

When they move out and that cash starts coming out of their pocket, they get smart fast. ;)

At 18, most teenagers are ashamed at how dumb their parents are.

At 25, they are amazed at how much their parents have learned in 7 years.

Don't know where that came from, but I heard it years ago. When the youngus get out in the real world they realize why the parents are like they are.:D

a quote from Mark Twain............

At 18, most teenagers are ashamed at how dumb their parents are.

At 25, they are amazed at how much their parents have learned in 7 years.

Don't know where that came from, but I heard it years ago. When the youngus get out in the real world they realize why the parents are like they are.:D

...............just saw that 2 days ago................somewhere?????

As a sidebar....

My wife had a cross stitch on our wall. Big heart and arrow, cupids and all that smarmy stuff and the writing was kinda small so you had to get close but it read: "I hope I live long enough to embarrass my kids as much as they have me".. :D

Back