Components for new Sporter build

center22

I've been giving thought to building a truly competitive 7 1/2 pound rifle for Sporter class IR 50/50. I've never even seen one of these up close and personal. I now have a 1416 Annie sporter that I mounted a new Leupold 6X scope on, but it's not capable of putting up anything close to the 250's multiple X scores I see on match results sheets. So I need advice on the best components to acquire, that will at least give me a chance for success. Here are the parts I'm considering at this time; either a Benchmark three groove, or Shilen Ratchet in their Sporter profile; An X-III Sporter action with a Jewel trigger. A sporter stock from Don Stith, who have always come through for me in the past. Note that I will be performing all smithing work myself. I am also aware of the drawbacks of attempting this, but I am not afraid of a challenge.
Would appreciate hearing from those of you that shoot competitive sporters for component or other advice. Thank you, ... John

My best advice is to get a Turbo Sporter action, a Dan Muller Works barrel (buttoned Rock Creek). I know you want the challenge but you can spend a lot of money on components (especially barrels that get ruined along the way) and likely won't end up with a sporter capable of the performance you seek. My best advice is to get a Turbo action and send it to Gordon Eck if you want a great shooting sporter. Trust me you won't regret it. I've recently tested 4 new or recently re-barreled sporters (including my own) that he has worked and they all shot great!! There wasn't a nickel's worth of difference in them and all will shoot lots of 250s next year. Guaranteed!!!

John, personally I think that the sporter is the more challenging build when it comes to bench rifles. If you want a guaranteed good shooter Bill is right, have a good smith build it. That said I get more of a kick out of building my own so if you like the work have at it. Good machine practices will get you 90 percent of the way there. Do your research first so you have a good idea of component weights before you start, there's not a lot of fat to be trimmed and little things like pillars and bedding and even finish can add more ounces than you may like so plan ahead. Let us know how you progress.

Dennis

Back