Coaxial rest top travel

Butch Lambert

How much vertical and horizontal travel would you like in a coaxial rest top. Would an extra .250" height hurt you? Bear in mind, I believe you wouldn't need a mariner wheel if you had enough travel.
Butch

Butch

The Rimfire Central Matches are shot at 25 & 50 yards. The Fudd, Bald Eagle and Cowan have enough windage travel for 25 yards. The Sinclair does not.

I tried Dick Wright's Farley and it would not cover more than three bulls at 25 yards.

25 yards may not seem important to shooters who only enter sanctioned 50 yard matches, but at our club, and others that shoot the RFC Matches, the 25 yard course is more popular than 50 yards.

Why does our club not shoot sanctioned matches? We have sponsored RBA and USBR matches in the past. We are attracting three times as many shooters to our "Outlaw" matches. We found a 25 yard match attracts new shooters and they come back for more. When we shot 50 yards only: A lot of them never came back for a second match.

Give your "stick" rest a little more movement and you will have a new set of customers. Some shooters may look down at 25 yard matches, but when they are shot on the USBR target, it ain't easy. And: A lot of shooters that start in the RFC matches move up to sanctioned matches. The sanctioned matches NEED new shooters: Right?

Joe Haller

Wow Joe, 25yds! I'm hoping for 25" horizontal at 50 and 22" vertical. It is not hard to get more, you just need a much larger package to do it
Butch

14"x16"

14"x17"?

NEWTargetDiscription.jpg

Measuring a couple targets I have in front of me...

The RBA paper is 14.25"W X 17"H
The ARA paper is 11"W X 17"H

I can only speak for me, but I like to shoot the ARA target sideways, making it essentially 17"W X 11"H

Coaxial rest

Butch how could you not want a coaxial in rimfire??!!!!!!!!!

I have never been to a rimfire match, so am unfamiliar with your needs. I also need to know if .250" extra height of the rest top hurt. It would make it easier to make a real smooth one with a lot of travel. I'm talking about 4.75" to the bottom of the bagtop when in a Bald Eagle base.
Butch

I'm hoping for 25" horizontal at 50 and 22" vertical. It is not hard to get more, you just need a much larger package to do it
Butch

Those numbers would cover all the 50yd RF targets plus the extra sighters that we sometimes put beside our target at St. Louis Benchrest. The extra 1/4" height won't hurt at the ranges that I shoot at.

Coaxial top

Hi Butch

I use one of your tops, and love it
I have been shooting competition from 100 yd. out to 600yd for the past couple years . and have had no problem.

It just so happens last month , I decided it wanted to play the rimfire game
a little bit.

I was invited to my local club at Hagerstown Maryland these guys shoot
IR50-50, I'm assuming I shot the regulation target ,

We shot indoors 25 yd. and your top would not cover the target horizontal or vertical.
As one of the other gentlemen said , you can only get three target horizontal , and I think probably a three or four vertical on
the target that we shot ,
you would need a minimum coverage at 25 yd. of 9 in. horizontal to be safe . the actual targets measure 8 1/4
And minimum of 11 half inches vertical . the actual targets including sighters measure 10 1/4.
(Now that is for the target that I shot)

If you come up with a top that will cover a larger area , let me know

Thanks
John
PS
I really like the tuner

Last edited:
Thanks guys,
I know that a Farley will not cover the complete rimfire target as I have one also. It covers about as much as our present rest top. It or ours are not adequate for rimfire. Thanks for the feedback.
Butch

Back