CO2 to Air

I converted a Steyr 91 over to air, worked pretty well for field target

Has anyone ever converted a CO2 Match Rifle to Compressed Air? Is it even practical?

With a decent HW barrel that was way longer, and fitting the air regulator, I eventually was winning matches with the gun at full power (around 19fpe).

Difficult conversion due to wanting the high power, but if you settle for around 11fpe, its not hard, can use original barrel, even avoid regulator by fitting extended reservoir.

I also made several good 12fpe conversions for the inexpensive Tau 200 match rifles back in the 90's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know little about Air Rifles, except this Steyr 88 is a 10Meter Match. Don't know how that equates to fpe. Just thought it might be easier for my Grandson to pressurize the cylinders in stead of the hassle getting the CO2 tank refilled and tested every time it goes flat. Most have said it wasn't practical or cost effective.

I maintain its practical

You didn't ask if it was easy or cheap. The gun cost over a grand new ... its still the same QUALITY, and, if converted to air vs co2 for its original 10M use, I'd say it would equal many current offerings that cost more.

I originally thought you wanted it for benchrest use. LV class allows twice the power your gun puts out, BUT, its not so easy to scope your gun. If you just want a gun that is easy to use and don't want to spend much money, stick to the co2 and shoot offhand with original sights.

That said, few 10M shooters bother with co2 anymore, and the gun would only have value to a collector, and even at that I doubt it would reach half its original value.

Trade it off to a collector against a gun that doesn't need co2, or even pressurized air, such as a spring or singlestroke if he just wants to plink with it.

Back