Cleaning rod question

BARTMAN

Ok I am using a pro shot rod .202 and jag is .180 and a 1 inch round cotton patch. Just seems to hard to push. Would a .17 cal setup work better? I think the rod diameter is ok. Seems like the jag needs to be a little smaller.

Or...the patch smaller. Doesn't need to be driven through but a snug fit seems good. Snug fit that pushes through nicely. Patch size and jag are both required for this to happen.

Here's what I do and I've been doing it for years. I start with 3 new jags and turn two of them down in progressively smaller sizes. I don't have the OD measurements handy, but it's easy to take say the diameter of the jag you're currently using and turn it down with sandpaper while chucked in a hand drill.
Take a little off and then see if you can push it down the bore with your current rod and your 1" patches....WITHOUT THE ROD BOWING AND CONTACTING THE RIFLING.

One of the side benefits of having several sizes of jags is that most of the patches with differing thickness and sizes all become usable with the right combination.
Works for me....YMMV.

Landy

I like round patches

Because they seem to have less edge fibers that come off. I just turn a jag in my drill press with a file until I have a snug but not tight fit, as Wilbur said.

I use a Tipton .22 cal. (spear tipped) brass jag #356987 and buy several at a time. I prefer to bevel the lead edge slightly ... as I find it allows the patch easier starting entry into the chamber. Reducing the jag diameter to allow for just a snug fitting patch, as mentioned by the posters above, is very good advice. An extremely tight fitting patch and jag combination, which causes the cleaning rod to bow, may lead to bore damage with extended use, even when using a well aligned bore guide. John

I just take scissors to the patch until I get the proper fit/push force
gn

Make sure the end of the rod is not larger than the top of your jag. If it is, and at 0.202 I will bet it is, round the edge of it such that there is no sharp edge that an act like a scraper going down your barrel. I really believe the .187 is a better choice with jags that are larger than the edge where they meet.

Back