Cleaning, misc. thoughts

I sent this out to friends, then decided to post it here as others may have some thoughts to share. I got around to my seldom cleaning of my .22 rimfire rifles. I am of the camp that thinks they don't need to cleaned very often. In no particular order:
1. Some .22 cleaning patches are so big that they can get jammed in the barrel. Like the ones I got from Brownell. I find I either cut them down or use .17 patches.
2. I guess I need some more bore guides as some of my rifles won't let the cleaning rod through without scraping on a trigger interface or something in the receiver. On some rifles I can hold back the trigger, but on others, no luck. I tried to use my .17 rod, but it wasn't long enough to get by the long barrel and tuner on the 40x.
3. Speaking of the 40X, I discovered the shape of the rifle stock does not allow a straight line for the cleaning rod to enter the chamber and barrel. I don't think it makes sense to need to pull the barreled action out of the stock to clean it.
4. I trying to clean and reorganize my gun room, a first in the 20+ years I have lived here, I discovered I own many more accessories and supplies than I ever dreamed of having.
But all of this does contribute to the pleasure of ownership. David

my 40x with the stock wooden stock

has a groove on top so the rod will go straight in.
i'm pretty sure this is the way it came from the factory
it's an old heavy barreled one made in '55 i think.

The groove is so you can take the bolt out of the action. If you get a Lucas bore guide for your 40X you'll be a happy camper. Tell him it's for a factory stock and he'll turn it down enough so it doesn't touch the stock. Also, a 42" rod helps. Thanks, Douglas

thanks doug

i do remember somewhere that's the reason for the groove
and it does help the bolt clear.

greetings all,

for a 22, try a bore snake. two pulls should do it. the first pull should be from the muzzle. this will pop out the small lead ring that starts at the chamber end 'if you have the ring' and it pulls a lot of crap out of the bore..

the second pull, 'from the chamber end'. this pull will 'reset the bore' pulling the leftover lube in the direction of bullet travel.

you should be able to get back on target in 3-5 shots.

my days of 'magic' cleaning are over... no more differant patches, brushes, rods, solvents etc...

try a snake, you'll like it..

..ttfn..grampa..

Last edited by a moderator:
greetings fred,

it's my story and i'm stiking to it.. :)>)

tt.g

I've tested both bench quality rimfires, plinkers and in between for cleaning method. They all shoot better to varying degrees if cleaned regularly. Suggest starting with a clean barrel and shooting till the rifle settles in. This can be from a couple of shots to as many as 20. Then shoot groups till accuracy starts to fade. This can be 50 to 150 rounds. The number of shots till a rifle settles in can vary depending on what brand ammo is used, cleaning solution used and how new the barrel is. For instance, I have a BSA Martini that is better than a plinker yet not quite benchrest quality, kinda in the middle. Using Hoppes #9 it takes about 15 rounds to start shooting good. Using TSI-301 it starts shooting after a couple of rounds. It shoots pretty good (low 3's) till about 125 rounds then starts to open up. I clean my bench guns every card. Shoot 4 quick shots to settle them down, then sighters and off to the record bulls. You can only tell what your cleaning regimen should be by testing. I have never used a bore snake. Something doesn't seem right to me about pulling one through the bore a second time. Dragging all the crud picked up from the first pass back through the barrel just gives me the shivers. Rich

greetings rich,

if you think about it.. a 22 cleaning patch is about 1/2" long. a snake is about 36" long. thats about 72 times more cleaning power. if you like, you can add a little of your favorite chemical to the front of the snake.

snakes come with either nylon or brass brushes..

when you pull the snake the first time, it's like 72 passes with a 22 patch. if you think there is crud on the 36"snake, give it a shake. but, there won't be. look at the snake with a magnifing glass. you will be pleasantly surprised.

but, if you really like solid 17 cal.rods, give the rod one wrap of electrical tape down it's length and pull. don't ever push, never, never push.
did i say never??? always pull. very imporant..

tt.g

PS... the last pull should always be in the direction of bullet travel..

PPS..always wipe the rod with a CLEAN cloth every pass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grandpa, I can tell your very sure of your answer. Although I don't travel much in ARA anymore, I have in the past, and over the last 14 years I have never seen anyone use a boresnake in BR-50 or ARA. I guess A lot of us have a lot to learn. I can say there is no need for 72 patches or brush strokes on a rimfre. 6 to 8 is probably satisfactory with most rimfires using a borescope as a guide. Using a minimum I have learned the hardway is best for the life of the barrel. If the crud is not on the boresnake I wonder where the crud went?:) Well if it works for you keep up the good work and have fun.

hi rich,

the crud on a snake goes the same place it does with a brush or a patch. it falls of the end.

you are rite about old habits being hard to change. it took me 5-7 yrs to change over to snakes as my 'PRIMARY' method of cleaning. started with shotguns, BPCR rifles. then slooowly handguns and finally, top of the line BSA's and winchester 22's.

i still use brushs and patches ans a secondary method of cleaning but the snake is primary. i'm sure as time goes by, snakes will start showing up on the ara etc. lines as the old habits start to pass.

tt.g

greetings all,

for a 22, try a bore snake. two pulls should do it. the first pull should be from the muzzle. this will pop out the small lead ring that starts at the chamber end 'if you have the ring' and it pulls a lot of crap out of the bore..

the second pull, 'from the chamber end'. this pull will 'reset the bore' pulling the leftover lube in the direction of bullet travel.

you should be able to get back on target in 3-5 shots.

my days of 'magic' cleaning are over... no more differant patches, brushes, rods, solvents etc...

try a snake, you'll like it..

..ttfn..grampa..

This is a comedy post right??? If you think you can maintain a competative match rifle-custom made, with a bore snake then I got some prime coastal property you need to look at

nope, tim.

at one time if you thought the earth waas anyting but flat, you could have been put to death. my how things have changed.

the guns you shoot now were built by experimenters. if it wasn't for them, we would still be using rocks and sticks..

try not to be a member of the 'flat earth socity'.

..ttfn..grampa..

PS.. pay attention to bill calfee, he is a true experimenter..

PPS.. use the snakes in my schuetzen rifles too.

David,

There are more ways to clean a rifle than there is to make a cup of coffee.

Just gotta see what works for you.

I use Montana X-treme (same thing as butches bore shine, or pretty darn close), Kroil, Denny Phillips cleaning rod.

I check my results with a bore scope.

s.

nope, tim.

at one time if you thought the earth waas anyting but flat, you could have been put to death. my how things have changed.

the guns you shoot now were built by experimenters. if it wasn't for them, we would still be using rocks and sticks..

try not to be a member of the 'flat earth socity'.

..ttfn..grampa..

PS.. pay attention to bill calfee, he is a true experimenter..

PPS.. use the snakes in my schuetzen rifles too.

Why thanks gramps I will certainly try.
PS..If you call Bill with the boresnake suggestion, I guarantee I know what the answer will be.
PPS.. While your pullin that snake through from the muzzle, you know the snake pretty much embedded with all that nice clean .22 fouling, your running it right over your [used to be] nice sharp crown.....Whoops.

xxxgrampa

Plese tell us what type of sanctioned matches you shoot in??? Do you actully use your snake on True Custom BR Guns??? If it works for you "That's Nice", I'll stick with the old way, rods, boreguides, patches and Ballistol.:eek::confused:

Back