Cleaning copper bore brushes

JonathanK

I was wondering what is the best method of cleaning and and keeping copper bore brushes clean. I have been spraying them clean with carb cleaner, but I heard from a reliable source that you can soak them in a solution kind of like paint thinner (cant remember what he said to use).

Cleaning brushes

I use Kerosene in a small jar on the bench and a Sinclair bottle for the range it cleans good and evaporates quickly.
Jim:)

Hi Jonathank, I would think any type of solvent will work. I use electrical contact cleaner, myself. Anything that evaporates quickley seems to work. Good Shooting, Lightman

i've always used plain old rubbing alcohol,works great & it's cheap

Is this it?

I was wondering what is the best method of cleaning and and keeping copper bore brushes clean. I have been spraying them clean with carb cleaner, but I heard from a reliable source that you can soak them in a solution kind of like paint thinner (cant remember what he said to use).

Try Lacquer Thinner. Just dip the brush in the thinner after cleaning. Works for me and is cheaper than all the spray stuff.

GW

bore brushes

At my age(68) I have to find things to get excited about. Cleaning $1 brushes is one of them. If your dish washer doesn't have a "cage" for them, find a nylon bag, whatever to put them in; but do not spend dollars on chemicals, etc to clean what doesn't amount to a gnats butt to your gun. Sorry, sometimes shooters believe in the tooth fairy. Love shooters!!!! V/R Greg

Bronze (not copper) brushes are an expendable just like bullets and powder, and primers, and brass, and barrels. They should be tossed at the end of each tournament. Buy them by the dozen (or more). That a year's supply. During a match you can spray them with most any of the quick evaporating stuff mentioned above.

You don't save your patches too, do you?:rolleyes:

JMHO

Ray

Bronze (not copper) brushes are an expendable just like bullets and powder, and primers, and brass, and barrels. They should be tossed at the end of each tournament. Buy them by the dozen (or more). That a year's supply. During a match you can spray them with most any of the quick evaporating stuff mentioned above.

You don't save your patches too, do you?:rolleyes:

JMHO

Ray

LOL, At one of the ranges that I am a member, one guy goes a step farther than saving his cleaning patches. I've seen him rummaging through the trash cans to get a supply of patches. When he gets enough of them, he runs them through the washing machine. He also refuses to buy targets. He has many different rifles in calibers ranging from 22's to 50's and digs in the trash to find a target with small holes when he's shooting a big bore, big holes for the smaller bores. He's too cheap to even tape over the holes.:eek:

Funny response

I watched a fellow make about 15 round trips with a brush and when he stopped he sprayed off the brush with something from a spray can. I asked why he sprayed it clean and he said..."I don't want to put a dirty brush in my barrel !!! "

AND...to those that would attempt to convince those cleaning their brush otherwise, a bit of unsolicited advice:

SAVE YOUR BREATH!

The only reason I clean bronze bore brushes is to keep the bore cleaner from eating them alive which it will if they're not going to be used again for awhile. A little squirt of isopropyl alcohol seems to do the trick.

I don't use a brush but when I did, this trick would keep them cutting longer.

After each use: flip the rod up onto your shoulder with the brush hanging down and drip Ronsonol onto the rear of the brush........watch it spiral down and drip off the end taking an amazing assortment of crud with it. The spiral of fluid will go from black to green to clear in just a few seconds. The brush will sparkle.

I couldn't imagine sticking a dirty brush into a bore. :eek:

Nor could I stomack swishing the brush repeatedly in a bottle of anything....

Nor could I blow my nose all over creation using an aerosol blowcan...

LOL

al

Many years ago, I filled an empty 4 oz. Hoppe's bottle with denatured alcohol. I simply dip the brush in the fluid, then wrap it in paper towel for a second and put it away.

Alinwa

"I don't use a brush but when I did, this trick would keep them cutting longer.

After each use: flip the rod up onto your shoulder with the brush hanging down and drip Ronsonol onto the rear of the brush........watch it spiral down and drip off the end taking an amazing assortment of crud with it. The spiral of fluid will go from black to green to clear in just a few seconds. The brush will sparkle."

When your container of Ronsonal gets empty, just pop the lid off and fill it with Naptha. Lot less expensive than buying another can of lighter fluid which is mostly Naptha anyways.

:cool:

My question is why use a bronze brush for copper removing bore cleaner? Why not just use a nylon brush to apply bore cleaner. Maybe run the bronze brush thru the bore with kroil or some other carbon remover then run a patch thru the bore on a nylon brush one caliber smaller with copper removing bore cleaner? What is the point of using a bronze brush with a copper removing cleaner? How do you know if the bluegreen is from the brush or the bore? On my 22 cal rifles I use a pull thru to keep from damaging the bore with a cleaning rod. Homemade with 80# dacron fishing line and weedwacker line tied to that to poke thru the bore. Anyway my 2 cents. Jon

Wilbur

I watched a fellow make about 15 round trips with a brush and when he stopped he sprayed off the brush with something from a spray can. I asked why he sprayed it clean and he said..."I don't want to put a dirty brush in my barrel !!! "
I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK.:D

My question is why use a bronze brush for copper removing bore cleaner? Why not just use a nylon brush to apply bore cleaner. Maybe run the bronze brush thru the bore with kroil or some other carbon remover then run a patch thru the bore on a nylon brush one caliber smaller with copper removing bore cleaner? What is the point of using a bronze brush with a copper removing cleaner? How do you know if the bluegreen is from the brush or the bore? On my 22 cal rifles I use a pull thru to keep from damaging the bore with a cleaning rod. Homemade with 80# dacron fishing line and weedwacker line tied to that to poke thru the bore. Anyway my 2 cents. Jon

My line of thinking there. I'll do a quick powder cleaning including bore brushing first and then go after the copper.

My contention is if you use a bronze brush to apply the copper removing bore cleaner how do you know if the copper you are seeing on your patches is from the bore or the brush? Jon

I thought I was using copper brushes

but I looked up the Pro Shot brushes that I use, and they are brass core, and bronze brushes. I guess you learn something new every day:)

Back