Choate stock for Savage Mod. 12

P

paul.222

I have a Savage Mod. 12 .22-250 the single shot model, and I'm going to get rid of the huge 10 lb. laminated wood stock. I just can't get comfortable with that huge grip, it seems like I'm Stretch-Armstrong when I'm trying to use just the tip of my trigger finger! Does anyone know if the Choate ultimate varmit stock listed by Midway for model 10's and 110's will fit the 12? And would you recommend it?

Many Thanks
Paul

Huge grip? I'll guess your referring to a BVSS model.
Yes the Choate will fit.
The BVSS weighs ten lbs altogether so the laminate stock probably weighs 4lbs or less. Just a quess on my part I've never weighed one.
The Choate weighs around 7lbs so you'll be adding weight to the rifle not lightening it.

Huge grip? I'll guess your referring to a BVSS model.
Yes the Choate will fit.
The BVSS weighs ten lbs altogether so the laminate stock probably weighs 4lbs or less. Just a quess on my part I've never weighed one.
The Choate weighs around 7lbs so you'll be adding weight to the rifle not lightening it.

Thanks, wasn't really serious about the weight. Just dramatizing the size of it! Yes it's the bvss and I love it. I can shoot 1/2 inch groups and less no problem. I've just never been real happy with that huge palm swell, and I'm wondering if I can shoot even smaller groups with the Choate?

Using the Choate stock right now and it will fit ALL non center feed short actions. 10/12 and even a few 14's are all the same thing except for steel and finish. The key is watching the bolt spacings.

They have just changed!!!!!

The stock is really nice for prone shooting and will be using it for F class. Works very well if you want a high scope mounting ie clear large bell objectives or use a MOA base.

As with all alum chassis, bed that action. The inletting is very generous. I also supported under the barrel the first 1" or so. Just keeps things nice and level.

For the money, it is a very useable stock and a great value. I doubt you will shoot any better then the stock you have now.

Jerry

An EJS forend stabilizer and a Rifle Basix Sav 2 trigger would probably give better returns for money spent.
What are you using for a front rest?

I use a Caldwell rest. With a 3'' forend stabilizer and a decent rear bag I can push the rifle into the stop of the Caldwell with my shoulder and never touch the rifle with my trigger hand.
Unconventional hold maybe but it works for me.
I did cover the stop with a thick rubber hose in an attempt at negating any possible firing pin vibration effects. Just seemed like the thing to do.

Back