Changing calibers

M

model14

I have a Remington 700 in .223. If I want to change that to a 260 Remington, I will need a different bolt and a new barrel. I can still use the same receiver. Is this correct?

You will also need a new magazine. All things considered, I'd just go buy a new, or used gun, in the caliber you want. If you love the receiver and stock of your present gun then I would go ahead with the conversion. You will at least end up with exactly the barrel you want.

A new barrel, fitted and chambered will cost at least $300, and a good one will be from $150-200 or so more. A bolt with the proper face will cost up to ~$225 or so for a new one, although a used one would be maybe half that. A new magazine box and follower will be ~$35 according to Brownell's catalog, so minimum you'd have ~$450 into parts and pieces.

You might well be money ahead to sell the .223 and buy a new .260.

Model 14

You must kinda new to this game, most of us use this as an excuse to tell the wife we "NEED" a new rifle. :)

Hal

Hi Model 14, These guys know what they are talking about, these prices are real numbers. I personaly like Hal's method!!! Good Luck in whatever route you choose to go. Lightman

Thanks for the inputs. I really like my .223 Remington 700 VLS for "practical" bench rest shooting. Practical for me, as in less than $1000 invested. I can't afford anymore right now. I have been wanting to try the 260, but it does not come in the Remington VLS model. There is a used 22-250 VLS at the local gun store for $560. Based on what you guys said, all I would need to convert the 22-250 is a barrel swap for about $500 (maybe a magazine also). Remington also makes a .308 VLS but I have never seen a used one for sale. New VLS's go for about $850.

I think it'd be a lot of work (read money). Your straight road to Jerusalem would be to pick up a used .243 and do a barrel swope. Everything else fits.
Both my first 7-08 and .260 started life as .243's.

Don't forget the other solution, good gunsmith + sako extractor= easy fix
swap bbl, magazine, convert extractor, trigger job with standard remington trigger.... go shooting

Travis

I have a Remington 700 in .223. If I want to change that to a 260 Remington, I will need a different bolt and a new barrel. I can still use the same receiver. Is this correct?

No.

The receiver is milled for the small diameter round to feed up from the magazine. It will not feed a 308 case up at all.

It is not a practical way to go at all...

and don't alter a .223 bolt to install part of a Sako extractor system... it's a terrible alteration simply to get a 308 boltface.

Back