Chambering Question

Anschuter2013

Lazy Man Works Hardest
I'm unsure just how chambering is done, so I have a few questions.

1.) Should the reamer cut the ENTIRE chamber INCLUDING the neck diameter in One operation? This would seem to be the best situation regarding concentricity.

2.) Is it acceptable to cut the chamber, and then cut the neck diameter in a second operation? Maybe this is how everyone does it?

Thanks to all replies...

Last edited:
It's best to have the reamer cut the body, neck and freebore dimensions all in one operation. That way you can repeat the complete chamber from one barrel to the next. I've opened up tight necked chambers to no turn chambers with a neck reamer. You have to watch what you are doing and go slow when doing that to make sure that you just open the neck up to the end of the existing neck and no farther. When I do that, I monitor the progress with a bore scope to prevent going too far. For frequently done chambers it's better though to have complete finish reamers for the neck diameter that you want whether no turn or tight necked and use the appropriate reamer. For instance, I have 6 BR reamers where the only difference between three different finish reamers is in neck diameter, .265", .271" and .272" neck diameters. It just makes it simpler to use the correct reamer.

Back