Chamber change?

W

Walt H

I have a .223 savage barrel and I was wondering can it be rechamberd to a 22BR?
Thanks inadvance Walt

Walt H, If your action is one Savage chambers for the 22-250 the answer is yes. Your barrel would have to be shortened on the chamber end a little and your threads extended. If you was to use it on the same rifle the bolt head would need to be changed for the larger case head. Any Smith could do that job for you. Kenny

Depends. First you need to know the existing chamber neck dimensions. If the 22BR reamer has a smaller neck than the Savage chamber, that barrel will have to be shortened enough to cut a whole new neck. You'd probably want that anyway to get a new throat with little or no freebore. Often factory chambers have so much freebore that bullets seated near the lands will be only barely into the case. The .22BR has a fairly long neck compared to other .22's, which means more room to seat a bullet without going into the case. So unless you plan to shoot real long heavy bullets, I'd specifiy NO freebore. Then cutting the barrel that much, make sure there's no taper before where the threads would end.

Back