Center line

R

rusty dog

Does anyone know at what point on a rifle the center line is to determine the balance
thank you
bill t

This is something you don't want to try and calculate - at least with any degree of accuracy. The "centerline' is the center of gravity. You can determine where it is by placing a loaded and cocked gun so it can pivot on a straight edge which is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch wide. Where it balances is the "centerline". Remember to be safe while you are dealing with a loaded gun.

Atta boy Cec, that's what we need at the range, more guys juggling loaded and cocked guns with 2 ounce triggers so they don't miscalculate that last 1/16".

Just trying to think this out about the centerline and the center of balance. I believe they could be different animals but does it really matter?

Concho Bill

Balance

I heard a gun had to be balance if it was to heavy at the but it would not shoot that good that is way i ask about the center line thank you
bill t

Bill t, that's true you want the gun to be neither bbl heavy or butt heavy, to balance around the action/barrel junction but it's probably not precise. Most 10 1/2lb. guns end up with some weight in the butt and sporters do not have too much room to manuver because you're right on a weight limit.

Hold the gun up with both hands and move your hands together slowly. Be careful with the gun cuase you don't want to drop it. Your hands will meet at the center of gravity from the butt to the muzzle. Probably easier to do if you hold it on the side and won't make a difference. If you want to know the center from edge of stock to edge of stock you can do essentially the same thing but you will need to support the butt end. You may want the bold to be in place but I wouldn't load it. It won't make that much difference.

Last edited:
I heard a gun had to be balance if it was to heavy at the but it would not shoot that good that is way i ask about the center line thank you
bill t

Not true. Mine has 2.5 pounds of tungsten in it at the butt. No problem. Of course, you don't want it tilting off the rest either.

take one of those white bic pens set it on a table. put the rifle on the pen moving back and forth until you find the CoG. no fuss and no droppin it either.

center line

Thank you very much fot the replys
bill t good shooting

Back