Caution-danger-peligro !!!

Stephen B Moore

Now that I have your attention-- Recently Al in Wa. and I discussed briefly on one of the forums about the use of epoxy, specifically "Simpson Set 22", desinged for holding anchor bolts or such in masonary or concrete.
My kid came over wagging a 6.5 Arisaka barreled action and asked "what can you do with this Dad?" I thought 260 Rem. would work -not-, at least satisfactorly, another post about why later.
I decided to bed it in an old Mauser sporter stock which is just about as ugly as the action. I used the afore named epoxy for the initial bedding. Used shoe wax/polish as release agent. Next day the action didn't just pop out due to some nooks and cranys in the action. I got out the heat gun and heated the action from the top and the bottom. The action popped right out. BUT I noticed the epoxy had become somewhat pliable. Screwed the action back in while still warm and let it cool. It is now hard as a rock. I then used my Dremmel tool, it already had a small diam. stone in it, to relieve the trigger slot. I built up a pile of epoxy dust whitch I dumped in my trash can.
THIS WHERE THINGS CAN GO ALL BAD!!!
The can contained some old paper towels with maby bore solvent or what ever on them, Q-tips with evaporated acetone, shoe polish, hardened epoxy, and what ever on them. The can, an old 8# powder can with the top cut out, had been setting there for a couple of days. I started grinding again and was going to dump some moore dust when I noticed an acrid smell as well as SMOKE coming from the can! I had a cup of coffe sitting on the work bench which I poured in the can. I picked up the can and took it out back [neither the can or the coffe were hot].
I watched it for a while and the coffe had extinguished it.
Instead of going back in the house I decided to go in the shop and pick up every least bit greasy or oily rag and despose of them properly!
Don't know if other epoxy would "react" the same, but it's easy enough to NOT find out!

Charcoal only looks good in the "Bar-B-Que"!!!!

Steve Moore

Now that I have your attention-- Recently Al in Wa. and I discussed briefly on one of the forums about the use of epoxy, specifically "Simpson Set 22", desinged for holding anchor bolts or such in masonary or concrete.
My kid came over wagging a 6.5 Arisaka barreled action and asked "what can you do with this Dad?" I thought 260 Rem. would work -not-, at least satisfactorly, another post about why later.
I decided to bed it in an old Mauser sporter stock which is just about as ugly as the action. I used the afore named epoxy for the initial bedding. Used shoe wax/polish as release agent. Next day the action didn't just pop out due to some nooks and cranys in the action. I got out the heat gun and heated the action from the top and the bottom. The action popped right out. BUT I noticed the epoxy had become somewhat pliable. Screwed the action back in while still warm and let it cool. It is now hard as a rock. I then used my Dremmel tool, it already had a small diam. stone in it, to relieve the trigger slot. I built up a pile of epoxy dust whitch I dumped in my trash can.
THIS WHERE THINGS CAN GO ALL BAD!!!
The can contained some old paper towels with maby bore solvent or what ever on them, Q-tips with evaporated acetone, shoe polish, hardened epoxy, and what ever on them. The can, an old 8# powder can with the top cut out, had been setting there for a couple of days. I started grinding again and was going to dump some moore dust when I noticed an acrid smell as well as SMOKE coming from the can! I had a cup of coffe sitting on the work bench which I poured in the can. I picked up the can and took it out back [neither the can or the coffe were hot].
I watched it for a while and the coffe had extinguished it.
Instead of going back in the house I decided to go in the shop and pick up every least bit greasy or oily rag and despose of them properly!
Don't know if other epoxy would "react" the same, but it's easy enough to NOT find out!

Charcoal only looks good in the "Bar-B-Que"!!!!

Steve Moore

LOL!!!

waste of good coffee :mad:

:D:D:D:D:D

I don't think that this was a function of the SET epoxy, just epoxies in general. THEY WILL START FIRES!! How many folks on this board had a body-work class in high school?? Or a Vo-Tech class which used epoxies, "fiberglass resins" or any other two part adhesives???

I think that the Student Underground ensures that EVERY CLASS will have some joker who mixes extra hardener or drops a little acetone into the cup and throws it into the waste basket.

Instant Fire Drill..........

Thank you though for this update, I had no idea that HARDENED epoxies or partially cured dust would ignite.

Now I'm gonna' hafta' go down and drip various solvents on my epoxy boards in the garbage can. I'm serious.... My shop/range/reloading room is a wood framed building, I live in fear of fire.

NEW RULE in Al's Shop....... NO MOORE EPOXIES dumped into the corner waste basket and garbage can. (I already know not to ever put paint rags ANYWHERE but outside or into the burn barrel. Lacquer rags WILL also ignite with a roar.)

Thanks for the Safety Update.

al

Back