cats and spiders...different animals and species ?

As I see it, a spider typically is in place of the chuck or on the back of the spindle and will have a single row of bolts/fingers. A cat head may be held in the chuck or may be held in a steady rest and will have at least two rows of bolts/fingers.
Greg

Actually, we have always referred to these as "spiders".

Attachments

• chuckstops3.jpg
    chuckstops3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 411
The manufacturer states it best.

# The Royal Chuck Stop provides a simple, consistent method for locating short parts in a 3-jaw lathe chuck.
# Captive, web-shaped design eliminates the danger of using spacers or parallels that could come loose and be thrown from a spinning chuck. Three strong magnets further secure the stop to the chuck face.
# Stop allows short parts to project past the chuck jaws, providing clearance for facing operations.
# Setup time is greatly reduced - no need to bore soft jaws.
# The Royal Chuck Stop is very accurate - front and back locating surfaces are parallel within ± 0.0004 inch.

The manufacturer states it best.

# The Royal Chuck Stop provides a simple, consistent method for locating short parts in a 3-jaw lathe chuck.
# Captive, web-shaped design eliminates the danger of using spacers or parallels that could come loose and be thrown from a spinning chuck. Three strong magnets further secure the stop to the chuck face.
# Stop allows short parts to project past the chuck jaws, providing clearance for facing operations.
# Setup time is greatly reduced - no need to bore soft jaws.
# The Royal Chuck Stop is very accurate - front and back locating surfaces are parallel within ± 0.0004 inch.

I dont get it, how do you get the part past the webbing to the chuck jaws?............Don

The jaws protrude through the webbing. It comes in handy for those short parts that need to be turned. The photos are self explanatory.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
The jaws protrude through the webbing. It comes in handy for those short parts that need to be turned. The photos are self explanatory.

Ah, I see now.

Dont have a need for it too often, when I do I use the spacers or parallels with shim stock that I remove after tightening the jaws, thereby eliminating the flying spacers or parallels...............Don

Back