Carbon ring cleaning question??

C

chadflys

Recently I was in a discussion with some fellow benchrest shooting frineds and we were discussing accuracy issues and the subject revolved around keeping the chamber free of a carbon ring. Is there some insight that can be shed on this issue? I have heard about carbon ring in centerfire, but it has never crossed my mind with the .22 rimfire stuff.

In the discussion I was told to first clean by running how ever many required patches to get bore clean. then clean gently the chamber with a twisting action and/or stroke with a bronze brush. Resulting in more junk on the patch.

I had to check and see if I had any.....

Three patches and the fourth was white as snow. gently did the brush thing and ran an oiled patch....white as snow.

I didn't feel good using the twist action though I did twist about one full twist and I didn't want to reverse the bronze brush in the chamber so I used a nylon....ran a patch and still nothing. I guess I didn't have a carbon ring???

Is there something to all this? Or is this overkill and taking a chance of damage to the chamber and bore by overdoing it?

Thanks,

Chadflys

Doing it

the way you describe, should be no problem. Brass or bronze brush won't hurt a thing unless you try and wear them out doing it. Some people will even use a little steel wool to clean the carbon ring. I prefer the brush method when I feel there is a need.

I go along with Fiddler on this one.. When I think mine need it, a brass brush forn two or three strokes, usually gets it out..

Dave

Here is what I do between targets:

One patch soaked in Ballistol is pushed down the bore.

ALWAYS SLOWLY draw the jag back through the crown.

One Ballistol patch worked straight back and forth in the chamber area. 4 to 6 back and forth cycles and then out the muzzle.

One Ballistol patch pushed down the bore.

2 or 3 dry patches and then ready to shoot.

At the end of the day after the 3rd Ballistol patch I push a Ballistol soaked bronze brush one pass down the bore from chamber to muzzle. I then do a couple of Ballistol patches after the brush, then dry, then a gun oiled patch to protect the bore during storage [ even SS bbls, I'm anal about corrsion protection ]. I use this patch to wipe down the exterior of the gun, the bolt and the inside of the rec.

Notes; Wipe the exterior of the rod after every pass.

My borescope tells me this regimen works on BR quality bbls using Eley Match EPS ammo. I shoot at least 8 foulers/warmers after cleaning.

I use Dewey 20 cal rods, a custom bore guide to suit the 20 cal rod and a radically shortened jag that only has one knurled boss remaining .

Someone will come along and say everything I do is totally ignorant :rolleyes:

Not attempting to hijack this post, but just one question along this throught train: Is the carbon ring usually visable to the naked eye when looking down the bore from the breech end? The reason for the question is that I've been shooting my CZ and my 64MPR on Saturdays for at least a year and I've been looking for the ring, but am unable to see one.

Thats partly why I posted the question. I didn't find any evidence of a carbon ring. It might be able to be seen with a bore scope, but I have never seen anything with the naked eye.

Chadflys

From what I've heard, you really need a bore scope to be sure. Jim Peightal has a Hawkeye, and when he rebarreled my 40X, I asked him to scope the old barrel and he said there was no carbon or lead anywhere. I guess my cleaning proceedure works ok.

did you use a bronze brush? How often? So far I have only used a brush in my barrel twice. NOt beceause I felt it needed it, but to see if I got anything more out. I bought the gun used (5 year old gun) and who knows how it was cleaned before me. I have only seen the need for a few patches about every two hundred rounds or so. Three patches and its clean. Good barrel I guess.

Chadflys

I just tried Bore Tech C4 Carbon Remover and got some black on a patch out of what I thought was a clean barrel.

Al Kunard

Carbon ring

A lot depends on how often you clean and what ammo you use. I run two wet patches and two dry patches after every two targets. At the end of the day there are faint traces of carbon left, a few short strokes with a nylon brush and they are gone. This is with Eley ammo and plain old Hoppe's #9. Now if I use some of the old Fed. UM1 it also leads and the nylon brush doesn't touch that. With out the bore scope you can't see the minor carbon after the cleaning with patches but in all honesty it's just a few traces. With the UM1 I can see the leading just looking through the bore with the naked eye.

Dennis

I have a bore scope. On the three rimfires I shoot most I have never seen a carbon ring. I get some lead build up in the throat. My two benchrest rifles with Lilja barrels never go more than 50 - 75 rounds without cleaning. My 3P rifle never goes more than 200. I never clean them thoroughly as it would just take more rounds to season them and put a little lead back in. I always leave a trace. I have tried a number of cleaning methods over the years that all remove the lead. But as I said, I have never seen a carbon ring. I suspect all barrels don't get them. I can't see the lead in the throat without my borescope so I doubt if you could see a carbon ring either without some visual aid. Another note, I found after getting my borescope that I was over-cleaning my barrels. Any extra passes of a rod that you don't need to make is putting unnessasary wear on the barrel as all rods flex and rub against the barrel. IMHO

Back