Captain America

MrsShootinthing

Captain America is a brand new build, we put together for Luke.

This stock is definitely one of a kind.

We put a Douglas 4 groove on it and by the way it slug out perfect.
J N L's PRX II Tuner
Grand Master Receiver and Trigger
JWH Bolt
36 X Leupold

If this gun shoots as good as it looks WOOWEE!

Take a look.

Can you please elaborate on "it slug out perfect"? Does that mean the barrel gets tighter and tighter from the breech to the muzzle end and you can cut it wherever?

Can you please elaborate on "it slug out perfect"? Does that mean the barrel gets tighter and tighter from the breech to the muzzle end and you can cut it wherever?

Interesting question. I have an eight groove barrel. When I slugged it and measured the high spots and the low spots on the slug, I got lands as .216” and grooves as .220”. I understand that the process gives the average boar size. The question I have is: what is the average size of the boar and the depth of the grooves?

MrsShootinthing,
The build is Beautiful.

Update: I’ve been doing some research and discovered the answer to my own question.
The average 22LR Bore is .217” and the Groove is .222”

Bob

Last edited:
You would have to know

all the various low's and highs on both grooves and lands then average them. Not sure that is possible. how does it shoot? If good, forget about it.

all the various low's and highs on both grooves and lands then average them. Not sure that is possible. how does it shoot? If good, forget about it.

Glp,

You’re right, after rethinking my previous post, slugging dose not give an average land and groove measurement. It gives the tightest spot in the barrel.

Bob

Glp,

You’re right, after rethinking my previous post, slugging dose not give an average land and groove measurement. It gives the tightest spot in the barrel.

Bob

That is why, Bob, you, often have to use several slugs and reverse them to measure part way down the bore and become adept at the feel of the slug both going down and reversing back, to get a sense of whether or not it immediately feels looser..aka, taper.
How it feels is as important as how it measures.

That is why, Bob, you, often have to use several slugs and reverse them to measure part way down the bore and become adept at the feel of the slug both going down and reversing back, to get a sense of whether or not it immediately feels looser..aka, taper.
How it feels is as important as how it measures.

Tim,

You make a valid point. When I slugged I pushed from the muzzle to the breech. As I got closer to the breech I felt the slug slide more easily.

Interesting how the announcement of a new build has led to a discussion on slugging.

Bob

Last edited:
No argument with that, but I was intrigued that nobody gave any comment (positive or negative) on the build.

Hi John, Hello to the land down under,
I just read your bio. I used to live in Bathurst NSW. Give a quick look at post #3. It’s not much, I admit, but it’s something.

Bob

No argument with that, but I was intrigued that nobody gave any comment (positive or negative) on the build.

Pretty tough to do, so far it is just a new gun on a bench without anything as to any performance. It's a newborn.

Lisa,
Whoever laid that stock blank up did a real fine job. Darn near a mirror image on both sides. Joe has built some really fine rifles on this platform and this is one of them. Will look forward to see how it shoots.

I compliment you both on being true supporters of RFBR. Not only ABRA, but being involved as MD's in other sanctioned bodies in your area. You will be getting a call from me in a few weeks to order some more Pro-X. Please say hello to Joe for me and give us a progress report on the new build. Nice looking rifle!

Respectfully,
Scott

Back