Can you put a Rem 260 in a long action?

I've owned a couple 260's in Remington short actions and was never happy with the amount of bullet that I had to stuff into the case in order to fit the round into the magazine.

So I wondered if a long action would be a better fit and would this cartridge reliably feed from a long action magazine?

Anybody ever do this?

Depending on what cartridge the long action was chambered for, you may have to change the magazine box and follower. The "feed rails" in a Rem 700 are part of the box.

Ray

If you'r going to build on a long action, have you looked into 6.5-06 instead ?

If you'r going to build on a long action, have you looked into 6.5-06 instead ?

Yes. I have one and it shoots very nicely.

Thank-you for asking. Anyone else with their favorite alternative in 6.5 in a long action please also chime in here.

This will be a sporter rifle just to plink with. Targets out to 300 yards and the occasional target of opportunity. Something in a #4 @ 24" with a 3x-9x and a two pound trigger.

Last edited:
I built a 6.5 x 284 on a long action 700 so i could seat the 140-142 gr bullets long(ie: reach the rifling),,,,,,,, works and feeds like a charm,,, donor action and mag box/follower were all from a 30-06,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

Yes. I have one and it shoots very nicely.

Thank-you for asking. Anyone else with their favorite alternative in 6.5 in a long action please also chime in here.

Seems a smart ass like you, who already has a long action with the correct bolt face, would already know the answer to you'r question.

I built my granddaughters 260 with a mauser long action (it was her great granddads and she liked it). It's easily shooting 1/2 groups @ 100yds, many are even smaller with 130gr Accubonds and Reloader 17. Her's is a 24" McGowen #3 sporter, 1:8 twist, CM, with screw on muzzle break.

Why not a 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser on a Remington long action. I have one and like it very much. One of the best things about it is that you can get Lapua brass at a reasonable price.

Why not a 6.5X55 Swedish Mauser on a Remington long action. I have one and like it very much. One of the best things about it is that you can get Lapua brass at a reasonable price.

Stop tempting me !!!

I have several hundred 6.5x55 brand new Lapua brass just sitting on the shelf and two sets of dies. Not to mention the assortment of 6.5 bullets doing nothing but getting lonely.

I have an old Model 96 that I cut up, drilled and tapped. Screwed on a 50's vintage Husqvarna surplus military "stepped" barrel and cut it to 24". Timney trigger and topped with a Redfield 3x-9x-50. Pretty good rifle. It's the one that gets loaned out when someone needs a deer rifle..... That thing is responsible for many, many, deer and one cow elk. It's also very comfortable to shoot paper.

Always thought about a 6.5x55 A.I. but then thought why not just use a 260? That's kind of where I am right now.

My 6.5-06 has a very short throat and tight neck. It likes the 90 - 110 grain bullets and is extremely accurate considering it's on a 700 action in a laminated sported stock.

In the mean time - I am putting together a 6.5x47.

Can you ever have too many?

Thanks for all of the responses.

Kevin

Good question

Can you ever have too many?

It occurred to me to post that question on general discussion, but I hadn't. I'd have to say the answer is yes. I'm always behind on cleaning and reloading and have a large inventory of dies. Sinclair, Midway, Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Brownells and a few others love me. All I wanted to do was shoot.... Now I've got stuff I haven't even tried yet. I used to be happy when I only owned a .22, then only had one centerfire in .243 Win. Of course you have to have one in every twist. If I could only have one rifle I could die happy with a .223 Rem (1:9) or a 6mm BR (1:10) or a .17 HMR. That would get me a prairie dog and that's all I really ever wanted to do, but now I've tried F-Class....

I have a friend that has a 6mm BR, a 6mm BR-DX, a 6mm Dasher AND a 6x47SM (sweet cartridge); that's like little stairsteps. - nhk

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

You'll find the 6,5x47, 6,5x55 and 6,5x284 is preferred by most here, based on the availability of Lapua brass. A shortcoming of the 260 rem in some peoples opinion.

I also do not like the fact that you have to seat the 140 pills Way down in order to even fit to Mag length in the .260.

In your long action, you may as well try a 6.5x284 and it will feed just fine for you

good luck

Back