Can the matte SPS 700 stainless action easily be polished?

VaniB

How much trouble would it be to polish and remove the rough matted finish of the SPS action to get it to a smooth satin finish? Is this something I can do myself, or can it be done by a professional cheap enough? The dilema is that if it gets to be too expensive to pay somebody to do it, then I could just buy a satin smooth stainless CDL rifle to start with. But, I'd rather start with a $500+ SPS rifle instead of a $900+ CDL rifle. The barrel and stock are to be dumped.

I've been looking for an LA Remington stainless BDL action in new condition to do a 280AI. The market has been just flooded with J locks and all this cheap matted SPS stuff.

Sure it could be done. You will have to block sand it or use a soft stone of some type to get it close and then judicious use of a buffing wheel. High quality polishing is a lot of work. you might be able to fab a mandrel with bearing that you could use to spin it against a belt grinder to save some elbow work like we do with barrels. I have never gone to this much trouble! Just buy a custom action and spec a polish finish. You can get one for $700 ish.

The reason metal surfaces are sand blasted in the first place is to save the time/money involved in polishing them out. To polish one out after it's been blasted is harder than it would have been in the first place so IMO, NO, it's not "easy" although it certainly can be done at home if your time is worth less than the time of a professional.

As far as "having it done," there's no way to save money by having it done..... the cheapest way is to buy one already done.

opinionsby

al

Imo

Polishing will remove metal.

Caution should be used in the area of the scope mounting surfaces. Most importantly the rear scope mount base area which on a 700 can already be out of spec with the front mounting surface. This is a problem with polished actions from Remington having a profile like a basketball and why 20 minute bases should be used just to straighten things up:)

The polishing has nothing to do with one of the rear scope base mounting holes being out of alingment with the other three.............................. I have no idea how that is accomplished.

After doing a whole lot of checking into this after I started the thread.....IT AIN'T WORTH THE TROUBLE.

You would have to polish the SPS rough surface to a mirror shine which is a job in itself. Trying to go directly to a very even satin like finish would be nearly impossible as you are trying to remove the rough SPS surface.. Then, once you have your high polished shine, you would then rework it all to a 400-600 grit slightly hazy satin finish. There's no guarantees that you wouldn't slip and cause cosmetic damage in spots during the long process . It's also hard to get in those nooks and crannies. Easier to buy a Remington rifle already made in that satin finish.

Back