Can I expect feeding problems with a 280AI in a Rem 700 repeater?

VaniB

I have considered choosing a 280AI for my next project, but was concerned about how the 40 ° shoulder angle might impede smooth feeding of cartridges out of the Remington 700 magazine well. I realize that the 280 "improved" case can be had with a 30 ° shoulder instead of a 40 ° , but I've ruled that out being that the 30 ° utilizes expensive special order reloading dies, and it cuts down on available room for powder.

So, just how much of a problem with feeding can I expect? I don't mind a slower and more deliberate maneuvering of the bolt being a requirement for reliable feeding, as long as the cartridges just won't plum be jamming in the chamber beyond my control. Is this something a gunsmith can adjust and fix?

Last edited:
I have never had any feeding problems with my 280AI on a Rem. long action. It's not quite as smooth as my other gun in 35 Whelen, but, never any problem feeding second or third round when hunting. I crank the bolt and it feeds. James Messer build the one I have and I'm sure any smith worth his salt can make it feed just fine

I had started this thread after reading the archives from another websigh in which two gentleman said that they did experience feeding problems. But, I could not question those old archive posts about just how severe these problems were. (ie; I don't mind slightly sticky feeding, but I would not want outright jamming) I have since now heard from you and 3 other gentlemen who say that it's really not a problem.

Thank you for the input. as I am now at ease that this should not be a concern.....especially with a competent smith doing the work.

I have problems from time to time with feeding problems with 700's in standard cartridges.

Therefore my .280 Imp and all my big game rifles are built on Winchester Model 70 Classic actions.

My target rifles are built on the 700 and all but one are single shot.

I at one time owned a 6.5-06 Ackey and it was not the smoothest feeding from the magazine. I do not ever recall having a jam or complete failure to feed.

Back