Can Cordura go bad ?

R

rkcal22

For the last 1 1/2-2 years I've been using a Protektor front and rear bags with heavy sand and have been very happy . The Cordura worked fine with a nice glide to my Don Stith stock coated with polyoxide that is until about 3 weeks ago. It was a very humdid day ( s.e. Fla ) and I had resistance with the stock on the bags. I then coated the bottom with a car wax (very old stock ) and even with that and baby powder sometimes with light force it didn't move. I had to change my style from free recoil to a light pressure with my shoulder to get a better score. Free recoil is much better and more consistance for me. So can someone help me with this problem and also is it normal for this to happen over time .? Does Cordura wear out ? Thanks Richard

cordura

Sinclaire sells a spray silicone for that. You could try a good quality spray silicone. I use it on my cordura bags, works well. I dont think the cordura will "go bad" but you might have a build up of powder and such, and with high humidity....you get bread dough in there. Try a good cleaning first. Ed.

Another thing you might try is to wax your stock where it comes in contact with the bags. I use "Johnson's Paste Wax", sometimes in combination with the silicone spray, and sometimes just the wax on both wooden and composite stocks. The only thing you'll have to be careful of after that is to make sure your gun doesn't slide off the front bag. Man, does it glide smooooothly.

Dave

Thanks for the feedback. The first time I tried baby powder was last week never had a problem before. I'm going to order the Sinclair silicone spray and if that doesn't work well then try that in conjuction with the Johnson paste wax. Richard P S The only problem with good feedback is that if my scores don't go higher then I lost a really good excuse.

As long as you are not shooting IR50 sporter (it is illegal to use-look it up) a sheet of Bounce (the stuff your wife puts in the dryer to get rid of static cling) between the stock and front bag works wonders on a humid day. I always carry a supply of the stuff in an airtight plastic box (I dislike the aroma in the car) for those days when the stock won't slide no matter how much wax or baby powder or silicone spray I try. bob

Silicone

Just go to your local Napa, Auto Zone or Wal Mart to get your Silicone spray. Quicker than ordering!

Richard,
Home Depot has silicone spray (near tool section) and it's less than $4 bucks a can. I will bring a can to the match Saturday, but it's best to let the application dry a while before use. If you have compressed air available, it may help in removing the baby powder from the pores of the cordura. John

I suspect that your experimentation has resulted in several compounds finally getting gummed up. I'd probably clean it up good with something mild like Simple Green and then pick either Carnuba or silicone and stick with one.

Richard , Is the stock tacky where the bag rubs it ? This is a guess , but the temperature , and the humidity might have softened the finish . I quit using anything but an oil finish on my stock projects . In the past , I have had some poly's get tacky after being finished . I am not saying that the oil finish is the answer , but oil , and other items including bore cleaners have had a negative effect on some stocks. Just my two cents , no harm ,no foul . Ballard

In Oct of last year I put on 4 coates of a polyoxide that is used to protect wood floors which I thought would be a strong finish. It felt smooth to the touch the other day but I;ll check other parts of the stock to see if is different.

Richard , Is the stock tacky where the bag rubs it ? This is a guess , but the temperature , and the humidity might have softened the finish . I quit using anything but an oil finish on my stock projects . In the past , I have had some poly's get tacky after being finished . I am not saying that the oil finish is the answer , but oil , and other items including bore cleaners have had a negative effect on some stocks. Just my two cents , no harm ,no foul . Ballard

Ballard shooter, my guess is that you may have addressed not only Richards stock finish issue, but also mine. About two months ago, I decided to apply (spray gun) a two part automotive clear coat finish to my Sporter and heavy RFBR stocks. In the past I have only sprayed one stock at a time. I poured the clear coat into a clean jar and added some hardener, just by eyeballing the amount. I had both stocks suspended from an overhang with stainless steel wire. I applied several coats to each stock allowing time for each application to become tacky. After I finished and cleaned up my equipment I noticed that the finish was not drying as quickly, as stocks that I clear coated in the past. It took about twice as long as previous applications for the finish to set up enough to be handled lightly. I must not have added enough hardener to the mix or possibly the product went bad from extended shelf life. Either way my two stocks never had the hard shell clear coat finish that I experienced in the past. I noticed that they become a little tacky in the heat, humidity and when using bore cleaning solvents. Thanks for the heads up, ... John

For the last 1 1/2-2 years I've been using a Protektor front and rear bags with heavy sand and have been very happy . The Cordura worked fine with a nice glide to my Don Stith stock coated with polyoxide that is until about 3 weeks ago. It was a very humdid day ( s.e. Fla ) and I had resistance with the stock on the bags. I then coated the bottom with a car wax (very old stock ) and even with that and baby powder sometimes with light force it didn't move. I had to change my style from free recoil to a light pressure with my shoulder to get a better score. Free recoil is much better and more consistance for me. So can someone help me with this problem and also is it normal for this to happen over time ? Does Cordura wear out ? Thanks Richard

Cordura is the brand name for a collection of fabrics used in a wide array of products including luggage, backpacks, pants, military wear and performance apparel. Cordura fabrics are known for their durability and resistance to abrasions, tears and scuffs. All fabrics have shelf life's and do wear out.

The best thing to do with bags made of Cordura nylon is to keep the material clean with a small brush.

DO NOT apply powder, wax, or sprays of any kind since it is absorbed into the material and then creates a gummed up surface that gets gummed up even more, as you reapply the powder, wax, or sprays. Applying anything to stock tape eventually gets transferred to the pores in the nylon material too. Add dust, dirt, wind blown silica and/or pollen, humidity, heat, or cold to the above mix and you end up with a real polluted surface.

Clean nylon material combined with clean stock tape provides a very slick surface. If you want a super slick surface go to the new 3M material being offered through Protektor Model or Edgewood.

Regardless of what you use, DO NOT apply powder, wax or sprays to the Cordura or 3M bags or stock tape ... unless you want a gummed up surface. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back