Can a 6mmBR Be Magazine Fed?

P

Phil3

I am looking to build a 6mmBR rifle for non-competition use and would like for it to be magazine fed. Is this even possible? I have heard I might need to use modified 308 magazines and/or that single stack mags may be needed. And that the extractor may need to be a Sako style. I intend to use a Howa action, and it already has a M16 style extractor to start with. No decision yet on stock or chassis. Savage once offered a Long Range Precision Varminter 6mmBR repeater, so apparently it can be done, but they quickly discontinued this rifle, so maybe it didn't work so well.

Phil

I am looking to build a 6mmBR rifle for non-competition use and would like for it to be magazine fed. Is this even possible? I have heard I might need to use modified 308 magazines and/or that single stack mags may be needed. And that the extractor may need to be a Sako style. I intend to use a Howa action, and it already has a M16 style extractor to start with. No decision yet on stock or chassis. Savage once offered a Long Range Precision Varminter 6mmBR repeater, so apparently it can be done, but they quickly discontinued this rifle, so maybe it didn't work so well.

Phil

I've done it on Remington 700's, blocking the .308 magazine with a .223 magazine block, shortening a .308 follower to fit into the magazine and using the .223 sized magazine spring. It depends upon the extractor whether it needs a Sako style extractor location or not. Some Remington extractors have a better grip on the case better than others. The sako positioned extractor will let the short case eject into the round portion of the raceway which works better for short cases than ejecting into the lug area of the raceway. H-S Precision center feed magazines for the .223 can have the feed lips opened up and feed the 6 BR quite well. As to a Howa, I have no idea. I figure the biggest problem would be getting magazine parts to fit the Howa, unless Remington parts happen to fit.

Again, Mike is very knowledgeable...

Something else along the same lines that you might consider is the 6.5x47 Lapua necked down to 6... It offers a bit more velocity, feeds well and is very, very accurate..

I have a Howa 1500 in 6mm BR and it's a repeater without problems.

there is no need to use Remington since the Howa action works just fine without modification.

mine was original a .243 so I just replaced the barrel with a 6mm BR Krieger barrel and kept shooting.

Hi,

So you just stuffed 6mmBR rounds into the stock internal 243 Howa mag and it worked fine? One other person I connected with suggested that was the case with him as well, although he just put one 6mmBR round at a time in the mag, not several. If you are putting 6mmBR rounds into the internal Howa mag, how many can you load?

Phil

it's 4+1 just like .243 or .308.

works best with long bullets like 108gr but I have no problems with 68gr bergers, they are short but recoil is also very little so they do not move around in the mag.

Wow, that is just amazing...and great news! When you say the 108s work "better", that would suggest something doesn't work quite so well with the 68s. Could you elaborate? Occasional feed or eject problem, not working so well with full mag, or...? I wonder why the Howa can digest the 6mmBRs with no trouble while other rifles seem to struggle. ???

Phil

if the magazine is loaded properly with the tip of the bullet as far forward as possible then there is no problem, but when loading in a hurry and some cases are far back while other are seated forward in the magazine then there can be some feeding issues.

with the longer bullet that problem goes away.

the Howa is just so much better designed than the Remington that's why it works so well.

I have both a Remington and a Howa, out of the box the Howa is much better, the only thing missing is aftermarket benchrest triggers for Howa like Jewel...

the howa action is much tighter than the remington and needs much less work, blueprinting a remington is a lot of work, doing the same to the Howa takes 20 minutes since the threads do not need any work and the boltface is as it should be so the only thing needed is a sleave in the action...

No, the sleve is pressed in from the front where the threads are

So if you press a sleeve in from the threaded front ring side, first how do the bolt lugs work then?

the sleve minimizes sidways movement of the bolt, the lugs still do their job as before.. without the sleve sidways movement in the Howa action is about 45/1000 but with the sleve it's only 10/1000

the Remington action has sidways movement of about 30-80/1000 before blueprinting

Back