Byron E. Cottrell Pa. gunsmith info

S

STP

A friend just acquired a rifle in 22 Newton marked B. E. Cottrell. It`s based on a Czech VZ24 action. He has confirmed that it is in fact 224 bore diameter with 1-10 twist with medium heavy sporter contour barrel. His stamp on the barrel is B E Cottrell 22 4 Newton. Note the space between the 22 and the 4. My friend is able to use the 7mm Mauser or the 257 Roberts case to neck down to make suitable cases.

We are trying to find some bio information on Mr. Cottrell. We believe he was located in southern Pa. as a gunsmith during the period of the 1920`s thru the 1960`s. I have looked thru American Rifleman of that period and can not find any reference to his gunsmithing business...only articles on field use of early cartrides such as the 270 Magnum. (July 1939)

Would like to find some background info this gentleman.

Regards,

Scott

I can tell you a few things about Byron Cottrell. I do not know how or where he learned the trade. He lived very rural on the west branch of Pine Creek in potter county (north central Pa.) maybe 4 or 5 miles west of the town of Galeton, Pa. My Dad used to visit him in the early and mid-1960's and I always went along with him. It was a real treat to go there. His house was old and rather messy, smelled of a combination of his wood heat, gun oil and stock finishing chemicals. To me that was nice! His workshop was in a room adjacent to the kitchen. Even though he made and sold high grade rifles he didnt live lavishly. I believe he died sometime in the 1970's and a local "would be gunsmith" bought most of his equipment.
My uncle had at least three rifles made by him and after his death his widow sold all his guns.
Byron made hunting rifles for a few celebrities, including some baseball stars of the 1950's and 60's and some of the well-to-do local businessmen. Byron did not work cheap.
I know of two Cottrell rifles still in Galeton. He was not a prolific maker like Jeager or Ackley but what he built was good.
One of the existing rifles I know of is a pre-64 Winchester varmint originally chambered in 243. Back in the day a cartridge called the "236 Super" seemed to be the craze and Byron rechambered many a 243 for it. I believe it was based on an improved .270 Win necked down to 6MM. Some locals claim he invented the wildcat, I cant verify that.
I am not sure if his house still stands, if it's still there it is likely a hunting camp which has happened to many old rural houses in Potter County.
I can ask around and might find a few more bits of info on this interesting old gent. I have not been out the West Branch road in years.
Another interesting old gunsmith my dad used to visit was Rueben Gibson near Ulysess Pa. He passed away long ago and is still a fond memory for me, but that's another story!

Scott,
In "WOODCHUCKS AND WOODCHUCK RIFLES" by C.S. Landis (1951), the chapter on Vernor Gipson (of Niedner and .219 Wasp fame) notes that Byron E. Cottrell has been assisting him for the past 5 or 6 years. The book was reprinted by Wolfe in 1988.

Another reference where Cottrell is quoted several times is "Wildcat Cartridges" by Richard F. Simmons (1947). It also lists various addresses for him.

Hope this helps.

Bryon Cottrell info

Gentleman,

Thank you so much for the information. This will prove very helpful.

Regards,

Scott

Cottrell Rifle

Gentlemen,

I just won an auction for a customized K98 Mauser in .244 Remington. The seller did not have much information posted about the rifle in the listing, so I shot off an e-mail with a bunch of questions. He wrote back and told me the 24" barrel is marked B E Cottrell. This shop is located in Western PA. I also scored a Flaig's Ace customized '09 Argentine Mauser in .30-06 with a 27" heavy barrel from the same shop. Looks like I tapped into that old world craftsmanship from Western PA!

Cottrell Rifle Update

Upon inspecting my new Mauser K98 converted to .244 Remington, I discovered I have two gunsmiths listed on my barrel. Across the top center of my barrel, B E Cottrell is clearly stamped. Also, on the right side of the barrel near the top of the stock, V Gipson is clearly marked on the barrel. So, I don't know if I have a rifle done by Cottrell using a Gipson barrel, or vice versa. The only other marking on the barrel, other than the caliber, is a circle with GP stamped inside of it. Nice looking stock, but the action has been glued down in the stock all the way around, so I can't remove the action from the stock to check the underside of the barrel for any additional markings.

What say the experts on this one?

Upon inspecting my new Mauser K98 converted to .244 Remington, I discovered I have two gunsmiths listed on my barrel. Across the top center of my barrel, B E Cottrell is clearly stamped. Also, on the right side of the barrel near the top of the stock, V Gipson is clearly marked on the barrel. So, I don't know if I have a rifle done by Cottrell using a Gipson barrel, or vice versa. The only other marking on the barrel, other than the caliber, is a circle with GP stamped inside of it. Nice looking stock, but the action has been glued down in the stock all the way around, so I can't remove the action from the stock to check the underside of the barrel for any additional markings.

What say the experts on this one?

Not 100% sure but I think what you have is a rifle stocked by Cottrel with the metal work done by Gipson. I don't believe Gipson ever made any barrels. The glued in part sounds like someone else tried to bed the stock and forgot the release agent.

Thanks for the information, Martin. I appreciate your input. I have seen rifles in the past where the person did not use enough release agent and it got locked in around the bedding area. What is different about this one, is you can see the adhesive up and down the entire length of the barrel, as well as the metal underneath. Looks like someone did not want this action moving at all. By looking at the bore and rifling, looks like it was not fired much at all. Can't wait to mount a scope and see how it shoots.

Back