Bushnell Elite 4200 SF scope elevation issues; What rings and/or bases do you use?

VaniB

I'm looking to put a Bushnell 1" Elite 6x-24x 40mm SF mil-dot scope onto 7mmMag long distance target/varmint Remington 700 rifle. As we all know, these 4200 scopes are short on elevation adjustment and are said to run out of clicks at about 600 yards or less. What have you guys been using?......What rings and/or bases should I buy to extend the range to say maybe 800 yards?

Hopefully a couple of you guys have worked out this same problem, and can tell me I'll be good to go before I go buying the 4200 SF 6x-24x 40mm scope.

VaniB,

I prefer the Burris Signature ZEE rings (Inserts). Then you can also use the offset inserts to reach the range you need. The insert rings won't mark your scope. Make sure if you use them, take rubbing alcohol and wipe the inserts and rings down or the scope might slip.

Hovis

Hovis, if I use the new Burris rings with inserts to boost the zero out to say 800 yards, will it then be impossible to maintain a constant zero at 100 yards? (where I spend the most time doing casual target shooting) But, I guess the premium set-up is to at least be able to use these inserts to have my constant zero set at 200 yards, but be able to dial up targets at 800 yards if desired. If I can at least have my zero set at 200 yards, then the inserts will do what I need, and I will proceed with purchasing the scope.

Also, I've been googling and checking up on Burris Zee and Burris Signiture rings to see that both names are being discussed with having inserts. Are they the same rings with folks using two different names, or are they actually two different series of rings being offered?

VaniB,

Burris makes two types of rings with inserts. Signature Zee rings are the weaver base style and the Signiture is the Leupold style. I prefer the Zee. With the offset inserts, you can reach 800yds with the 7mag and stlll dial to 100yd. The trick is just finding the correct offsets in the right place to be as close to center of the scope as possible for both distances. Basically, splitting the difference.

Hovis

VaniB,

Burris makes two types of rings with inserts. Signature Zee rings are the weaver base style and the Signiture is the Leupold style. I prefer the Zee. With the offset inserts, you can reach 800yds with the 7mag and stlll dial to 100yd. The trick is just finding the correct offsets in the right place to be as close to center of the scope as possible for both distances. Basically, splitting the difference.

Hovis

Excellent!

Hovis,
You know.....It's funny how I just finished purchasing a Sightron 8x-32x Mil-dot SF Slll scope from Midway at $100 discount. But now I'm getting ready to send it back. I carefully took it out of the box and compared it down-range to my Burris Black Diamond 8x-32x SF scope, and to both my Bushnell Elite 4200 6x-24X mil-dot scopes. (one Elite is a 1" tube 40mm with SF, and the other is the Tactical dials with a 30mm tube and SF)

The Sightron optics are excellent, but the Burris is slightly better. But both the Sightron and Burris are friggin huge sized scopes. They are both long and heavy with a clumsy huge front bell. Give me the 40mm small sized 6x-24X Bushnell scope any day on a rifle that is NOT intended to be a 15lb varmint/benchrest rig. The 1" 40mm Elite SF scope is cheaper then the 30mm tubed Elite, and yet it has sharper optics. The Bushnell optics are just as good at 24X as is the Sightron, and the subtension lines and mil-dots are finer on the Bushnell making precise target aquisition easy. When I swap out the Sightron for another 1" Elite scope, I'll be saving $200 which will buy me a Jewell trigger.:)

My only concern was gettng the Bushnell to work beyond 600 yards. You've helped confirm that it's a fixable problem. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Back