bushing

H

hailey

I have a new rem 700 pss I'm using a redding bushing die w/246 bushing,a fired lapua case measures 255 should i go with a bigger bushing say a 250 cause bullets now are seating pretty tight..

Wellllll,

First we have to know what chambering it is....THEN what the loaded round measures over the bullet........

My guess is that you could try a .247 and it'll be looser, .250 and the bullet will just fall out.

incidentally, your chamber neck is right about .256

al

The bushing size has little to nothing to do with your fired case size. We define neck tension as the difference between the OD of a sized neck and that same neck with a bullet seated in it. If your bullet seating force seems about right, you are probably OK. If it was too much, you could try a larger bushing, if too little, a smaller one.

wellllll

Its a 223 and the loaded measures .250 ...

My ppc has a 262 neck and i run a 258 bushing with it and the bullet doesn't fall out whats the diff.

wellllll

Its a 223 and the loaded measures .250 ...

My ppc has a 262 neck and i run a 258 bushing with it and the bullet doesn't fall out whats the diff.

The diff is that your ppc has tight tolerances whereas the 700 is factory. Loaded round on your ppc probably measures .260 which means .002 clearance around the neck. The .223 is factory. Loaded round measures .250, chamber nk diameter measures .256 that's .006 of clearance........That's three times as much.

If the loaded round measures .250 then a .250 bushing will allow the bullet to just fall out. Springback. Brass has some elasticity, it springs back about a thou.

al

O.K so what would be a good bushing to use 246 is way to tight leaves seater rings on the bullets..(burger 60,gr)

If the loaded round measures .250, a .248 should do it, but I like having options so I would also get a .247. Remember, you take the loaded neck diameter and subtract .002 or possibly .003 to get bushing size, regardless of the chamber neck diameter. Is your Redding die a neck or FL die?

The die is a fl die and i found the problem midway sent me a 243 insted of a 246,never looked at it till now no wonder i was way off.midway is always sticking it to ya!!!!!!!!!!sure it was my fault riiiiight....

.223 neck tension.......

Hailey-I shoot a Savage LRPV .223 1/9. I.D. of neck=.255". Loaded round=.249" w/ Lapua brass turned to .0125" neck thickness. I've successfully used bushings from .245"(for fireforming) to .248". I have settle on .247". SAAMI chambers run LARGE on EVERYTHING! I also have a 6PPC w/ .262" neck-LOVE IT! If I had found the 6 first,I would not have bought the Savage. Good luck. gpoldblue:)

Well

If it is a factory chamber and you are not turning the necks.........you would get better results using a Lee Collect die. That is your loaded rounds should be much more concentric.

Or in other words: I believe the bushing dies work best with turned necks.

Back