Burris signature rings

you couldn't pay me to use them. try this if you have them. with the sun hitting your scope and the reticule on the x ring walk away for 15 minuets. do the same with steel rings and compare. once you see the difference you will never use rings with inserts in a bench rest rifle. I have 3 sets of them and they are all relegated to plinking rifles.

Leaving....

you couldn't pay me to use them. try this if you have them. with the sun hitting your scope and the reticule on the x ring walk away for 15 minuets. do the same with steel rings and compare. once you see the difference you will never use rings with inserts in a bench rest rifle. I have 3 sets of them and they are all relegated to plinking rifles.

Leaving a scope exposed to direct sunlight for fifteen minutes is hardly a valid test since the internal temp sure wouldn't do any type of seal any good. Seems to me to be a very good way to out gas most seals and put a haze on the internal glass as well as the internal surfaces of the objective and field lenses. This was a very common problem with the old style T-Series Weaver scopes.

The Burris Signature rings are a very good choice for hunting rifles since the advantages they provide in not marring a scope and no stress on the scope tube plus a choice of elevation course adjustments via the inserts, far out weigh any disadvantage I know of. Would I choose them for benchrest competition? No. There are a multitude of precision rings available for benchrest that better serve this purpose.

virg

virg

Hi Virg H.
What would you sugest for a Rem action?
Us HP shooters are lost on these durn newfangled rings and scopes
Borg

Borg,

Use the Zee rings. They'll be fine. You can buy the finest set of aluminum or steel rings you want and they won't line up. They need lapping, so if you don't that causes stress in the scope. The Zee rings align the scope. I've used them for years. I'm sitting here looking at two sets of $100 rings, I keep going back to the Zee rings. If you're using a one inch scope and want the best of both worlds hunt a set of Jewell rings. I had those too, but sold them off because of lack of 30mm rings.

2nd the motion...

Hi Virg H.
What would you sugest for a Rem action?
Us HP shooters are lost on these durn newfangled rings and scopes
Borg

Beau's suggestion for Burris Zee rings is an excellent one. These rings coupled with Weaver style bases would be an excellent choice.

You'll be lucky to find Jewell rings since they don't make them anymore. Jewell rings used aluminum inserts rather than plastic. In addition, they were only made for Davison bases.

Virg

A large number of the CMP 40X's were not lined up correctly when they were drilled and tapped for bases. So, the offset inserts help center the scope. I know of several good shooters that use them on 40X's. I believe Bob Barnharts great 40X has them. I am not positive, Bob correct me if I am wrong.

Borg,

Use the Zee rings. They'll be fine. You can buy the finest set of aluminum or steel rings you want and they won't line up. They need lapping, so if you don't that causes stress in the scope. The Zee rings align the scope. I've used them for years. I'm sitting here looking at two sets of $100 rings, I keep going back to the Zee rings. If you're using a one inch scope and want the best of both worlds hunt a set of Jewell rings. I had those too, but sold them off because of lack of 30mm rings.

Actually, Beau, it is the SIGNATURE rings that you speak of. Burris makes "Zee" rings (for Weaver bases) and "Signature" rings (with the polymer inserts). "Signature Zee" rings have both.

Martin

You must not shoot benchrest much, all ranges I shoot at have a roof
with sun shades for early morning as well as evening shooting.
Unless you shoot in the Mojave desert.

The Signatures work great for 200 yd shooting. I have them on 2 rifles for this purpose. The Rimfire/Airgun Sig's don't work properly on round top actions like Anschutz. I use these rings on BKL risers on one Annie and I use Signature Zee's on BKL Weaver adaptors on the other rifle.

snoman, what tips do you have for shooting in the desert. our clubs are poor, no roofs,benches,stools were just a bunch of hicks from the sticks. and can only afford these cmp rifles. so please advise on shooting in the desert.

snowman, that didn't work, how about expending your vast knowledge on the mechanical properties of plastics and their relationship to aluminum and steel and their relationship to the enviroment ?

Martin

Thanks for the come back.
You might want to consider sending in your scopes off your three
neglected plinking rifles, as for today I tried your 15 minute
coffee break test and the test results came back negitive,
after the crucial test it twas at the same point of impact.
Maybe the only problem is with your scope is that the nitrogen
leaked out and had nothing to do with the inserts at all.
You may try to realine your rings, sounds like there out of wack,
let us know what you come up with, try this before you send
the scopes in. Sounds like we found the problem.

Back