Bullet tipping

Are you asking for short range or 1k? In a nut shell, waste of time for short range and very helpful at 1000 yards. Results may vary at 1k depending on bullet and what you are shooting. Lots of more detailed info can be found here and on accurateshooter.com

Me personally I use Hoover tools to point 6mm Berger hybrids, 105 hunting vlds and 107 SMKs.

Man there is so much information out there and so many differn't things that are possible to try. I have tested bullet Tipping quite a bit. When I think about it and knowing that the Steering end of a long range bullet ( or any range I guess) is the back end and not the front end, I don't know why I expected this to make a big difference, and it didn't.

After extensive shooting with and without tipping the bullets, I found no solid difference. For me it was just a big waste of time.

Roland

My findings are different. With the Sierra 107's coming out of a Dasher at 2950, I saw about 8-10" verticle difference between the non pointed and pointed. I never sat down and tested the Hybrids, I simply have been pointing from the get go. Each bullet is different and results definitely will vary. This is at 1000 yard benchrest.

Last edited:
The original post was for "tiping"
Was he referring to "pointing" or "meplat trimming"?

That is 2 different processes.
Meplat trimming uses a meplat trimmer and pointing uses a die or set of dies.
Some long range shooters do both.
The do say that it doesn't make any difference for short range BR.
Havent tried it yet to know since I shoot short range.

That is 2 different processes.
Meplat trimming uses a meplat trimmer and pointing uses a die or set of dies.
Some long range shooters do both.
The do say that it doesn't make any difference for short range BR.
Havent tried it yet to know since I shoot short range.

Hmmm. If you do both, which would you do first?

I meplat first for two reasons:

1. I want to start pointing with a product that is as uniform as I can make it. With the projectiles that I've pointed, I've found that dimensionally & by weight, the output is more consistent once I meplat and reject the projectiles that have visually atypical points after they're trimmed.
  2. I've found that it's easier to meplat trim a larger diameter point than a smaller one. The tool that I use has an offset cut, but that doesn't seem to work with a small point.

I meplat first for two reasons:

1. I want to start pointing with a product that is as uniform as I can make it. With the projectiles that I've pointed, I've found that dimensionally & by weight, the output is more consistent once I meplat and reject the projectiles that have visually atypical points after they're trimmed.
  2. I've found that it's easier to meplat trim a larger diameter point than a smaller one. The tool that I use has an offset cut, but that doesn't seem to work with a small point.

Item 2 would be good to keep in mind when looking at meplat trimmers.

Bullet pointing

I use a Hoover pointing system.I first measure base to o-give and sort bullets I have seen some Berger .224 90gr VLD to be out as much as 24k so you have to sort. Then I meplate trim to 90 deg usually 2 to 3 K. then clean tip with 0000 steel=wool Then I point them. If Swampy at JLK can find out why his 90gr VLD where blowing up now and then they would be great bullets to use no need to sort they are only out 2k max and they shoot extremely good.
I have tested raw & pointed at 900 meters at Connaught ranges.
Rifle Barnard, Tru Flite 30.5" 1/7 twist 223 Rem NF BR 12 to 42, Robertson stock

Pointed 1 moa gain in elevation Fired 2- 15 shot groups one evening with little to no wind, after firing 3 shots to get in bull 15 shots unpointed shot a 72 out a possible 75 with 5 v bulls. with pointed bullets shot a 75 of 75 with 12 v- bulls that's 12 in V bull 5" ICFRA Target.
Pointed some 155gr Sierras 2156 for friends TR rifle he was stunned as he gained just over 1 moa. and felt they grouped better than non pointed.
to me pointing is a must, the three shots I missed the V bull the shots where very close to V bull possible group could have been 8".
like others have mentioned pointing really does nothing noticeable at 100 & 200y could help a little at 300 m 1.5" V bull.
hope this of help
manitou

Back