Bullet pointing measuring OAL or other methods for more consistent bullets

Trevor60

Good Evening

I am having a friendly discussion about bullet pointing with a fellow competitor and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the matter.
We go about the process differently one person sorts by OAL batches them to the nearest 1,000th and point the similar bullets believing that this way keeps all of them the same

The other measures the bullets base to ojive and ojive to tip and batches them into different groups, the bullet is then trimmed to an avg OAL and pointed

What is causing the debate is that one is of the mind that measuring them to the same OAL will have the same bullet tip dia .060 and can then be pointed down to the same reduced dia.030
The other contends that no matter what length of bullet because the bullets are swaged on the same die the ogive radius will be the same and whether or not one bullet is 1.50 with a .050 point and another is 1.484 with a 0.60 dia point by trimming them both to 1.484 the meplat will be the same dia at the 1.484 length and pointing them will get the same reduced point .30 with a consistent OAL.

Where we seem to differ is the OAL of both bullets. With two different lengths they will have different finished dia and by trimming the bullet back to the shorter OAL the bullet will have the same dia. Were as the other believe even the longer OAL 1.50 bullet has the same meplat .dia as the short one which means pointing a trimmed 1.484 vs. a bullet that was 1.484 out of the box will have two different finished points.

1.50 length meplat dia .050 trimmed to 1.484 dia .060 vs.

1.50 length meplat dia .060 trimmed to 1.484 dia .070

1.484 out of box meplat dia .060

We are both willing to abandon our current methods if the other is proven to be correct.

We both have had success in competitions but are trying to better our game.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Trevor

Trever: I measure Ojive to Ojive, Then point after there all sorted. I do not trim the points! I finished in the top three for score at PA 1000 yard range, for 6 and 10 match aggs. If you want to spend all your time trimming and pointing, and it seems to work for you, have fun. But we have all been beat buy guys that just load and shoot right out of the box. The bullets are that good.

Joe Salt

I trim and point and sort by bearing surface. The same way John Hoover does,and this also lowers the ES. It does seem pointless to me to measure base to ogive..... I only trim to the shortest bullet, maybe about .007 max.on the longest...... jim

Last edited:
Back