Bue

Boe

I was threading a barrel today with a new tool holder and new HSS insert. After every pass I had Built Up Edge on the insert. Checked setup. Everything looks good. I tried speeds between 140-320 rpm. Infeed was between 2-12 thou. per pass. I tried my normal cutting fluids Ridgid and Supercut. I still had the same results. I had to stop and stone the insert before I made the last two passes to clean the threads up. The insert seemed as sharp as any I have used. Never had this happen before. Any ideas? Boe

You will sometime have a small burr that is not obvious to the eye. Honing the cutting tool ussually remedies the situation. Happen oftener than you might think.

I was threading a barrel today with a new tool holder and new HSS insert. After every pass I had Built Up Edge on the insert. Checked setup. Everything looks good. I tried speeds between 140-320 rpm. Infeed was between 2-12 thou. per pass. I tried my normal cutting fluids Ridgid and Supercut. I still had the same results. I had to stop and stone the insert before I made the last two passes to clean the threads up. The insert seemed as sharp as any I have used. Never had this happen before. Any ideas? Boe
Questions,
Have you ever threaded this barrel before?
Sounds like Chromemoly (or bad heat treat)?
Lots of workpiece overhang can cause some BUE.
What grade insert, HSS, HSSCo, ChiCom import?

-too deep infeed. 0.002"/side (compound feed) is about right for intermediate cuts but 0.012"/side is a bunch.

Jerry,
The barrel was a new 416 Stainless steel blank. The overhang was about 2 inches. The insert is a HSS insert and the holder is made in the USA. I was infeeding 0.003/ side for about 4 or 5 passes then noticed the BUE. So I stoned it off. I noticed it was building up on every pass.

Back