Browning Model 1885 Twist Rate

jim

I have a Browning Model 1885 in 22.250 and wonder if anyone would know what twist rate it has? I'm guessing 1 in 14?

Thanks

Well, you could guess at it, My Remington 700's are both 1 in 14 inches. Or, you could measure it. Put a jag with a snug fitting patch on your cleaning rod and insert it in the chamber. Take a sharpie pen and put a mark across the cleaning rod next to the point it enters the chamber. Then put a line on the cleaning rod inline with the bore and about 10 inches to 16 inches from the first mark you made (you should now have a line about 6 inches long. Push the rod into the barrel and watch it rotate until the long line makes one revolution. Mark across the rod next to the chamber (same method as the first mark you made.) Now pull the rod back out and measure the distance between the first and last marks you made. That is the twist rate. If it measures 14 inches between the marks, your twist rate is 1 turn (rotation) in 14 inches.

Or, you could look it up on Browning's website. If the rifle is out of production, you can download the manual for it. At least, I was able to for my 1885 / .45-70.

Back