Browning B78 25-06 Problems with 110 gr Nosler Accubonds

MACSako

Good morning forum,
I am having trouble developing loads for my 25-06 B78 Octagon Barrel, and would appreciate any advice,

Here's some preliminary data,
- Barrel 26", twist 1:10
- Job on the trigger by gunsmith, breaks clean & crisp.
- Job on forend, used to touch barrel, now it's floated.
Currently I am reloading,
- Neck Sizing just touching case shoulder, no feeding or extraction issues that I can see.
- 110 gr Nosler Accubonds,
- 53.5 gr of RL22
- Winchester Brass - now onto 4th reload
- Federal 210 primer.
- COAL 3.231""
- Jump to lands 0.015"
- AVG Muzzle speed - 2,940 fps,
- New Leupold VXII 3.5x10, nice and tight !
- Group size averages 1.5" @ 100 yd. (No vertical or horizontal stringing, nice constant triangles)
- Remington 120 gr Factory Ammo averages 2930 fps, so I can also assume no chronograph issues.
- Neck runout < 0.001"
- Bullet runout < 0.002"

NOTE: As soon as I arrived at 54 gr of RL22 I started seeing flattened and blown primers with past federal brass.
- I really hope I can get more accuracy and speed out of this 110 accubonds, I wonder if the bullets need to be pushed back a bit to relieve some possible initial pressure.
- I wonder given the 26" barrel length perhaps I should try a slower powder such as IMR7828 ?

Any advice will be most welcome as I would like to use this come next whitetail season

Thanks in Advance !!

I don't know if you can get the rifle to shoot tighter groups or not but at least you know the limit on the powder you're using. Rather than try to go faster, you've got another choice to go slower to see if the accuracy improves. Yes, try another powder or two to see if you can get it to shoot better at a faster speed but accuracy trumps velocity....at least in my mind.

One question, and it's simply a question in the thought process....What size group can you shoot with those factory Remingtons?

Thanks for your reply,

Remington 120 gr groups open to around 2", however they chronograph at just 10 fps less than the 110 gr Accubonds, with no signs of pressure whatsoever on primers, therein lies what I consider a real mystery.
I am a fairly weathered hand-loader with fairly honed bench habits, thus I would expect this 26" barrel to stabilize and do far better with 110 gr hand-loads than 120 gr factory ammo.

Thanks again,

Parted company with my B-78 round barrel 25-06 about 25 years ago.
It shot quite well with 75gr. & 87gr. bullets & healthy doses of 4350.
117gr. & 120gr. bullets were another story. Not so good. Everything
changed for the better when I tapped into my buddy's supply of
surplus H-4831. So try different powder. ( mine loved hot loads )

Phil

25-06

I have loaded and snot many more than I let my wife know!! You may have a tight bore or chmamber as 54 grains of rl-22 or h-4831s/c isn't a super hot load in most I have shot,but I have not had great accuracy with the 110 accu-bond in 257 Roberts, 25-06 or 257 Ackley
most all will shot the 117/120 sierra much better,also the 115 berger really shoots in my 25-06 as long as it has a 1x10 or faster twist.
I have a good friend that loves single shot rifles,he tells me the model 78 doesn't shoot as well as the high wall in most chanberings.
Another pretty good powder is h-4350 especially with lighter bullets.

Thanks all for your input, It appears I am going nowhere sticking to the 110 gr. Nosler AB
I will prepare some 115 gr Partitions of which I have plenty with RL22 and will certainly post updates.

I have also been told IMR7828 might be too slow for this combo, any thoughts ?

Here's a few pics of the primers using Winchester Brass, including a blown one.
I lack experience diagnosing primers, I would love to hear some comments. Primers used are Federal 210.

This is the max load I reached using 54 gr of RL22 with the 110 gr Nosler AB
This is the only Winchester case I've had problems with, but using Federal brass I had a few more instances.

I am seating the bullets 0.010"-.015" from the lands, could this be an issue ?

Again, many thanks all for your input.

Attachments

• 25-06 Primer 1a.jpg
    25-06 Primer 1a.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 25-06 Primer 2a.jpg
    25-06 Primer 2a.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 215
I don't think bullet seating depth could be the cause but it might. Could be that your case necks have grown past the chamber length but that would cause the bolt to be a bit more harder to close...check the neck length anyway. The primers in the picture don't seem to be flattened by pressure...they still have rounded edges on the outer diameter. Truth is, I don't have a dadburn clue but be careful in your quest to find out what's wrong...and let us know what you found!

pierced primer

Looking at the picture 1 of 2 the primers do not show me signs of excessive pressure. The 1 primer that shows a pierced primer which looks to be a defective primer not a blown primer. I would change the brand of primers first to see if the pressure signs go away with the load you are now using.
I have had a brand of primers 10,000 of them and would get 3 out of every 20 or so pierced even with a known light load with a 6 ppc. I gave all I had left to a friend to use in his 22 Hornet he never did pierce a primer and was very happy. BTW I still use the same brand that I gave away.
Chet

Last edited:
2506 since 1978

Been shooting a 25/06 since 1978. Essentially a trued and sleeved Rem 700 on a hunter class McMillan stock Madco 26" 1:10 twist barrel. Br trigger NF mounts and a NF 12x-42x-56 NXS scope. Will agg under the inch at 300 yards around high .8's to low .9's

On it's 4 barrel now. None of the loads in any of the tubes would agg under the inch until I began using a case full about 59gn of ADI 2217 with a 100gn speer just making land contact. Been using slight variations of that load in every barrel. Chronos about 3,400 plus change.

Hope this helps.

This is the max load I reached using 54 gr of RL22 with the 110 gr Nosler AB

About 2 grs over maximum.

With that action, you asking for trouble.

No 3 rings of steel like a Remington.

In my experience, 54.0 of RL22 with a 110 is pretty stout.....don't doubt that you're having primer issues, especially in that falling block action. On every 25-06 I've worked with, the various 4831's have given the best accuracy and velocity at reasonable pressures. IMR4831 meters like logs of charcoal but works great. H4831SC is a dream by comparison. The Nosler 100 gr. BTip is a fantastic game bullet in the big case 25's. -Al

Back