browning 78/85

MD5200

does anyone know if the 78 action and the 85 are the same? can the factory triggar be lightened any. does anyone make a good after market triggar. thanks md5200

brn s/s rifles

wow thats a hell of an address. thought it was a joke at first. it hit the first time.just what i've been looking for. thanks glenn (stonewall)

Md,

I had an 1885, worst trigger system I have ever seen on a Browning product!

It was a few of years ago and at that time there were not after market triggers availible.

The triggers for the 78 will not fit. I don't believe any of th parts are interchangable.

As I understand it, the 1885 has some kind of system that prevents the gun from firing if the hammer falls to slow or fast. How they do that, I have no idea:confused::confused: I just know mine would only fire2-3 times out of 5.

I had mine to 4 different smiths trying to dial the trigger in.

The rifle I had was going to be converted to a 35 Whelen. But after fighting with this trigger, decided it would be better to get rid of it and build a Number 1.

I invisioned standing on a ridge in Montana, seeing that Bull of a lifetiem walk out in front of me. Throwing a rifle to my shoulder that I had just spent a ton of money on for a new barrel and wood, only to hear it go click. My next move would be to wrap it around the nearest tree. So I decided to cut my losses, I am 1000 times happier with the decision.

JMHO

MD5200,
I have a 78 with a Canjar trigger. I do not know if they are still available.
George

The browning 78 triggers were fine(mechanically not a crisp trigger) until you tried to work with them but don't try to adjust . -Then they are a gunsmiths nightmare.Best to leave them alone .the 85 s were a little better.

I spent nearly 2 days with a guys 78 in 45-70 after he had messed with it.Even the tension of the stock bolt would change the setting of the trigger.
question is what do you end up charging someone for a trigger job that takes 2days on a $600 -800 rifle ??
A buddy of mine had a 25-06 he played with ,he found out the hard way as his hammer would not drop all the way .Missed a 6 point bull elk.NO GO BOOM!

Canjar was the only one to attempt an after market trigger.

Chris

Lee Shaver is a 'smith specializing in single shot rifles. One of his specialties is trigger work on the B78's and 1885's. I had one B78 with his trigger work done to it and it was great. (417) 682-3330 -Al

Back