BR stock finish?????

N

nemohunter

i'm finishing out my BR stcok for my rifle. it's laminated wood. what would be the best finish. i'm thinking automotive clear coat but i'm open to other finishes. what's on your rifles????

Don, do you have an auto body shop do the clear coat and do you stain it first or just leave it natural? Thanks, Douglas

Oh yeah, how many coats?

Douglas
I have done it with and without staining, at home and at the body shop. The cost of the material almost offsets body shop prices. I am lucky in having a local body shop that will do a complete finish and buff out for $150 if I do the prep work. I have done it at home with a cheap air brush from Northern tool and a $90 compressor. Took me about 6 coats, followed by 600 grit wet sanding and four more coats followed by 1500 grit wet sand and buffing. Makes the body shop a bargain unless you just enjoy fondling stocks.
Don

Douglas
unless you just enjoy fondling stocks.
Don

$10 - sand paper 100/150/220/320/400/600
$4 - mineral spirits
$4 - denatured alcohol
$10 - medium and fine rubbing compound
$5 - 0000 steel wool
$20 - paint brush
$6 - 1 coat of linseed oil
$6 - 2 coats of orange shellac
$25 - 6 coats of ZSpar Flagship varnish
=====
$90 - Total
$22.50 cost per rifle - 4 rifles
$0 - 20 hours quality time fondling stock

Priceless - look on friends face:D

Last edited:
to don stith

don

did you know doc porter died and also doc hancock

regards

bob barnes

oh still waiting for stock back from tom meridith

finish for stock

I make furniture,why not just stain it,then some satin polyurethane.If you have a spray gun,even an elcheapo,it sprays great!

I'll let the Master answer this, but I don't think you can get it as slick as you can with automotive clear coat. Thanks, Douglas

Back