BR rifle at the gun show?

ebb

I went to the West Palm Beach gun show yesterday. The gun store chain Shoot Straight had a 22lr benchrest gun on the table. It looked new and the tag said, Turbo benchrest 22lr. It was in a black stock that was some kind of man made material ( not wood ). It looked ready to shoot less scope and was priced at less than $2000 if I remember correctly. What was this and could it possibly be competitive? I don't know if this is one of the turbo actions you guys use or a knock off but it looked good.

I went to the West Palm Beach gun show yesterday. The gun store chain Shoot Straight had a 22lr benchrest gun on the table. It looked new and the tag said, Turbo benchrest 22lr. It was in a black stock that was some kind of man made material ( not wood ). It looked ready to shoot less scope and was priced at less than $2000 if I remember correctly. What was this and could it possibly be competitive? I don't know if this is one of the turbo actions you guys use or a knock off but it looked good.

ebb,
Without seeing, inspecting and shooting a RFBR rifle it's very difficult to say what it's worth. Not all rifles built with "Turbo" actions are automatically great shooters. A competitive rimfire benchrest rifle must be a complete system of high quality components (action, trigger, barrel, stock, pillar bedding, tuner, bases, rings, scope, etc.) assembled correctly, by a qualified rimfire gunsmith. However, a quality "stainless steel" Turbo action (not aluminum) is generally considered top of the line. The rifle you are referring to above "could" be an OK deal, at a price of under $2,000. if it was built correctly with quality components. Without shooting it first with known good ammo, buying a used RFBR rifle is always a gamble. John

Last edited:
John gave you good advice about the unknowns and trust what he says I do since he is a shooting buddy of mine. I set up at the WPB and took a look at the rifle and here is my opinion. The rifle has a Turbo action and an unknown trigger, with a molded stock that had a flat forearm but a pistol type grip seen more so on silhouette or running boar rifles. The barrel is a Kreiger with a thin diameter maybe .825" hard to tell by eyesight and no tuner and unknown rifle twist. It looked like there was a reducer to fit the barrel to the action and if you looked closely it looked like a 3/8" washer. The Stiller Copperhead and some other actions need them but I stay away from that type. The man who owned it had about 8 rifles mostly in center fire . The Kreiger is well known in center fire but much less so in rimfire. They didn't know who fitted the barrel and that is very important especially in the leade area. Put another 500 bucks to that price and you can make your own custom BR rifle with proven equipment for that type of shooting. If you can give it a good test 2 or 3 boxes of ammo before you buy then go for it. Hope this helps. Richard

I didn't really want the rifle. It just looked to me as if someone were mass producing them for sale or something. With the range situation here in Palm Beach County I can't shoot what ive got let alone a new one.

I didn't really want the rifle. It just looked to me as if someone were mass producing them for sale or something. With the range situation here in Palm Beach County I can't shoot what ive got let alone a new one.

ebb,
At the Hollywood Rifle & Pistol Club (http://www.hrpclub.info/) we hold three non-sanctioned .22LR "USBR" rimfire benchrest matches per month. Two matches are on Wednesday mornings (2nd & 4th) and the other is on the 4th Saturday. Today, we had a full line of 12 shooters (11 Unlimited class) some of our regular "Sporter class" shooters did not show up. Several of our competitors drive down from Palm Beach County regularly and our matches are open to non members who are safety oriented. If you are interested in shooting a RFBR match check out our website ... click on the "Club Calendar" link for match info and the "Officers" link for my contact number listed under Benchrest Director. Richard K. who responded above is our Match Director. John A.

Back